Re: conflict with apps using the NVDA key

Edhoari Setiyoso

Hi Didier,

I use Debian as Host with Windows as Guest. There should be no problem when I use NVDA and Orca on the same laptop. Once the focus change to VirtualBox Guest, all keyboard event will be captured by VBox and will be released when you press Right Ctrl.

Best Regards

Edhoari Setiyoso

On 02/11/2018 09:21 PM, Didier Colle wrote:
Hi all,

I am pretty happy running emacspeak in a linux gentoo system as a virtualbox guest on my windows system.

I run the X version launched by the cygwin startxwin command as follows: "startxwin `which ssh` -XY dcolle@localhost emacs --
-multiwindow"

This has the advantage that I am not bothered with the lag while typing in the cygwin shell, good clipboard integration between both environments, and I am not bothered with the virtualbox guest modifier keys.

That works great in combination with NVDA for the host environment.

Until now I have been using the windows host for webbrowsing and pdf file reading. Now I want to try this in the gentoo vbox environment (that recently there have been problems with firefox is no coincidence; even ff58 does not run always flawlessly).

My intention is to launch firefox or evince from the cmd-line in the emacspeak environment; to make them accessible I would need the orca screen reader.

Orca uses caps-lock as modifier in laptop layout (and insert in desktop layout): the same modifier keys as NVDA is using.

I guess that will not work nicely together. (I have still to experiment).

Thus my general question: how to deal with apps using themself modifier keys identical to those used by NVDA? Is it possible to avoid NVDA consuming such key combinations while in certain apps?

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Didier