Re: Google appearing in Frame in Firefox

Gene

I just compared the two pages.  They appear identical.  I was looking with an old version of Firefox so I don't know if there would be differences with a new version.  But what happens if you use the standard address?

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:08 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Google appearing in Frame in Firefox

What is the advantage of using the iesearch syntax?  If you just use the google.com page, you are placed in the search field if you have JAVA scripts enabled.  If you don't, you can very easily move to it.  Once you do your search and the results come up, you can move from result to result with the letter h for move by heading.  You have to press h a number of times to get to the first result.  Are you going through all this for no advantage?

Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:37 PM
Subject: [nvda] Google appearing in Frame in Firefox

Hi all,

I am using Firefox latest version, windows 10 and Google search page with the latest NVDA.

I have set my default page in Firefox to:

https://www.google.ie/search?complete=0

This has worked fine for many years until two nights ago.

Now Google opens up with some sort of frame that I cannot navigate clearly enough to describe here. The frame ends with a got it button which appears under the cursor when the page is fully loaded. I press enter or space bar to select the got it button in the hope that this will bring me back to the simple Google search edit box. However, nothing happens!

The screen goes completely still and no keys work on it. NVDA freezes. After about two minutes, NVDA wakes up and announces Google but then stops.

When I get a bit of reaction from the screen I can see that Google is in some sort of frame. I cannot find any description of frames in Firefox and so I am stumped!

Can anyone advise what is happening and what I can do to get back to my normal Google search window?

By the way, I had the latest Firefox when this problem first appeared. I have now gone back to Firefox  56.2 in the hope that the earlier Firefox would not invoke the Google frames but Google still does the same thing. I opened Google with the search?complete=0 argument and it opens without any problem. This issue seems to apply only to Firefox when using the Google search engine.

Please help while I still have some hair left!

All the best,

Cearbhall