Re: NVDA Says too much

Gene

If ssuch a setting is anywhere, it should be in object presentation settings.  The question is about menu items and list items, not about lists in documents such as in a browser.

Also, I don't know how what you hear varies from version of Windows to version of Windows.  I don't hear such information in XP or Windows 7 and my settings are the default ones.  Maybe in Windows 10, changing something like report object descriptions might stop this information from being spoken, but I'd have to look up what this setting does to know if it would help.

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Says too much

Hi Chris,

No problem at all re asking the question - if you don't ask, you'll never know :)

Many people use NVDA in different ways, and different people need different information read out.  In NVDA's Document formatting dialog - press NVDA+control+d to open it (or press NVDA+n for the NVDA menu, then choose "Preferences" then "Document formatting"), you can select which elements and information get read out, including list information.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Chris Bezant <chrisbezant999@...> wrote:
Hello
I just joined today. I am partially sighted and have been using NVDA for a while now and would be lost without it.
My question is: How can I stop it saying Menu Item, List Item etc?
Looking down a list of menu items I would like it to just say the item.
I hope this makes sense and hope it's not too trivial.
Thanks for any help.
Regards
Chris Bezant

Quentin Christensen