Re: Phasing out of 7

how did you get both of the versions to play nice together?

one of the weird things about skype 8 is that when you hit space bar or the inter key on the info button it brings up a context menue for configuring audio video settings and stuff like that.
I have not tried it on windows10 my macbook running boot camp will not support windows10
but I have a samsung laptop that my neighbor gave me before he moved
am trying to get a power cord for it to power it up it is running windows8.1 how ever I do plan on upgrading the laptop to windows10
Hank

On 2/16/2018 8:58 AM, Lenron wrote:
I can get by in skype 8 but I still use 7 a lot of the time. To be
fair there are so many other ways to communicate if I need to so not
majorly worried.. Companies do thing they feel they need to and at
times we got to move on and get with it or use another companys
products.

On 2/16/18, Damien Garwood <damien@dcpendleton.plus.com> wrote:
Hi Lino,
I think that’s a bit harsh, given how everyone is different.
Sometimes, updating software, or “moving forward”, can be fun, new,
creative, refreshing and so on. And let’s face it, a lot of the time, it is.
I love nothing better than seeing an announcement promising a software
update. Look at the change log, what’s new here? Does it have feature X? Has
bug Y been fixed? Is it a bit faster than it was?
Others find it a challenge worth the hassle. Oh dear. It needs updating.
Well, I’ll stick with it, see how it goes. That sounds like me when I know
there is a minor, note minor, interface change.
Still others aren’t even sure how to update. Well I guess autoupdaters can
be heaven for them.
However, for those who rely on an interface for getting around, a complete
interface change like what Skype has decided to do is nothing more than
terrifying. Especially now given that interface elements can’t be
customised, there are no shortcuts, and the window is as cluttered as an old
dumping ground.
I spent a day with the new Skype 8, and felt exceptionally rude, all because
I couldn’t tell when contacts were chatting at me.
Personally, the switch from Skype 7 to Skype 8, especially because it is
mandatory (short of completely removing it), is like someone telling me that
my house is being completely rebuilt from scratch, changing the entire
layout of the house and all the rooms, removing my kitchen and master
bedroom, and replacing the lock with a code entry system with no idea what
the code is. So yes. I, and seemingly several others, intend to cling onto
Skype 7’s debris until it is physically snatched away from us.
To be honest, being taught how to use computers in the good old XP days, I’m
actually surprised I ever plucked up courage to touch Windows 7, let alone
use it on a regular basis. Even now there are still things that rankle me.
As for Windows 10...I spent two days with it on my machine, and a few hours
with a friend via NVDA Remote, and each time I felt like I could quite
cheerfully throw the computer out the window. Thank the Microsoft gods for
rollback! Still on 7 for a while longer.
For someone on the autistic spectrum this is harder still. And yes, I’m not
ashamed to admit that I fall into that category as well. I like to be in
control of a situation, and when that is snatched away from me, you may as
well be taking sweets from a baby. It launches me into panic mode.
I’m sorry if that upsets or frustrates you, but we’re all different. We all
have our own opinions, lifestyles, methods, skill levels, abilities,
disabilities, comfort zones, adventure cravings, friends and enemies, loves
and hates, lifechangers and shortfalls. And nobody, I repeat nobody, is
perfect. The world would be boring if we were all robots, and so telling
people to “grow up” based on your own conclusions is counterproductive and
won’t benefit anyone. Granted, I don’t believe we should have everything
handed to us on a silver platter with diamond juice for dessert, but I do
believe we have a basic right to accessibility.
The idea of this list is to share our experiences and help others with all
things NVDA, and as far as I see it, except for a few posts, we’re all
sharing our experiences with Skype 8. The message I’m getting is that it
apparently works better on 10 than it does on 7, my experience shows that
the Electron version has only a rudimentary concept of accessibility,
certainly not enough to be able to use it effectively, and so the Win7 users
are clinging onto Skype 7 until it breathes its last. In my view, there’s
nothing wrong with that.
Cheers.
Damien.