Re: Firefox ESR

John Isige

Quite a lot really. For example, most machines that do heavy audio or video work are generally recommended to be dedicated machines that don't connect to a network. You could set up a gaming machine like that, put whatever games on it and then run them. Basically you either upgrade everything by downloading stuff and putting it on a drive that you connect to the machine, or only allow the machine to be connected to the internet at specific times, e.g. to download updates.

I could do quite a lot on my current machine with no internet, read, listen to music, learn an instrument, program, you get the idea. I'll grant you, chunks of the stuff that allow me to do that stuff without internet came from the internet to begin with. But it's not like you need to be connected 24/7 in order to do meaningful things with a machine.

On 2/21/2018 18:51, Antony Stone wrote:
What software does not run in such an environment?

I can only think of machines without a network connection, and that's hardly
useful these days (secure, agreed, but what can they do?).

Antony.

On Thursday 22 February 2018 at 00:39:12, Gene wrote:

Not all software. All software that you use in an environment where it
comes into contact with possibly malicious content such as browsers.
There is lots of software that you don't need to upgrade.

From: Antony Stone
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:11 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox ESR

"ESR" means Extended Support Release.

Every now and then, a Firefox release is labeled as ESR, and it means they
promise to support it for longer than the other in-between releases.

There is no reason to switch from a standard release to an ESR release
unless:

a) you like always running the latest release, and the ESR release is the
latest one

or

b) you are currently running a no-longer-supported release, you don't want
to update to the latest release, but there's an ESR release somewhere in
between which you are happy with.

Basically, do not run unsupported software. If security vulnerabilities
are discovered, you may well run into problems and they will be nobody
else's fault.

So, either run a recent (supported) standard version, or run an ESR version
(which may be older, but has support for longer), but either way, update
before that version becomes unsupported.

The above is true for all software, not just Firefox. Not all projects
have ESR versions, but many do - some are known as LTR - Long Term
Release.

Antony.

On Wednesday 21 February 2018 at 23:58:42, Andrea Sherry wrote:
What is this? Is it necessary to use instead of regular Firefox?

Andrea