Re: virtual recorder

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I know. I'm not as power user as you are, but I have an xp machine upstairs which accidentally got avast on it. I got a sighted person to uninstall it, but now there are a few core services still running which cannot be removed without, according to my research, using safe mode and a special remover from avast.

I'm sure all this seemed like a good idea to the vendors, but to the end user they are a pain. on our studio windows 7 machine avast seems to have been gotten rid of but there are still one or too bits that cannot be deleted claiming the partition that they refer to is in use but cannot be accessed from windows. How do I really know if avast is good or has it seated some bits of itself out of sight and is now sending data back? I'm not about to reformat that would be both impossible and stop the paper being published for a couple of weeks.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] virtual recorder

Hi.

http://opopanax.net/dl is where all of the virtual recorder is.

Recently I have come to the conclusion that if it wasn't for ransomware, I think I'd actually go without antivirus, a firewall or any security software at all.

It seems that all a lot of this stuff does is target things that were working fine and screw them over.

The blind are targeted a lot.

Bgt excluded since that and how its written is just something antiviruses don't like.

The only way to fix the issue is exclude parts of your hard drive.

I have half a mind to just exclude all my drives and take my chances.

I do this to a few folders in my backup drives but to be honest I do wander at how security software has degraded not just in accessibility but functionality as well.

In the old days I used to use zone alarm and a few other firewalls.

Lets see, load 1, and suddenly the antivirus software says its bad, part of it is deleted, the system is screwed.

A reformat fixes it but now I need to find another.

The other certainly works, blocking everything including changed ips and remote shares which may have been fine if it was not inaccessible, and if I had a static ip it would be fine but I don't have one of those.

So printers drives etc.

I simply abandoned sharing and internal remoting all together.

Msse doesn't seem to be that bad but I can see I am going to have to restructure bits of my hard drive.

Firstly, directories for games, office apps, etc, and have those excluded, then an unprocessed folder in my root just so I can find out what exactly is not a virus when something is caught.

That may be a blessing as I have to structure my drives which I don't do.

On the other hand it takes time.

I am unsure about usb drives I guess you have to have apps in portable apps on e f g etc and exclude that and hope like hell nothing screws up.

And while this promotes best practice, it certainly stops me trying to get something better than crappy msse/defender.

If the crappy antivirus and malware software has so much false alarms what will a really good bit of software do.

No, I know what that did, I trialed on the network something and it decided that windows was a virus.

2 weeks later and 3 reformats for the 3 computers and reinstalling of things and either buying, or trying to get back lost licences to products I allready own, I went online to the site I got the programs to complain, and they had up and left.

And were nowhere on the net at all.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.