Re: OEClassic gets an update fixing more accessibility issues

Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...>

Keep up the great work!I admire  your commitment to help the blind be independent.
Thanks no offense was taken, just logic of mine has to change to the new ways of doing things.
Just like adjusting in some programs control D is to get rid of a message and in other programs the command performs a different desire.
If I didn't have to switch applications I think it would have been a easier transition if software standards would be logically.
Have a nice day!

$$$$$$
EMAIL:karim.lakhani@...
$$$$
$$$
Your reputation is in the hands of others. That's what a
reputation is. You can't control that. The only thing you
can control is your character.
- Wayne Walter Dyer (1940-)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 10:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] OEClassic gets an update fixing more accessibility issues

I'm not telling anyone to do anything.  It's unfortunate that you take constructive encouragement or education or whatever you want to call it as coercion and resist it as somehow inappropriate or malicious.  You made this an issue in the first place because one list member sent one message suggesting that using Google more would be faster.  Neither you nor anyone on the list has to use Google.  There is no list position on the subject;  Neither I nor the list owner will take any action whether anyone uses Google or not.  "
And I said in my first post, that I was not speaking as a moderator; I was giving my opinion as a list member.  So don't accuse me of speaking as a moderator.  this has nothing to do with list policy.  I'm  simply trying to encourage people to use the greatest resource that gives blind people equal access to information since the start of the world.  I have given encouragement and provided lots of examples to help those who want to use the Internet better.  You are free not to do so and I am not criticizing you directly or indirectly in any message. 

I have strong feelings on the subject and I'm trying to help break down the information disadvantage a lot of blind people have because they are intimidated or don't know how to use search engines.  Cruel?  I'd say very beneficial if my encouragement yields results.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 10:58 AM

I'm glad to hear that I'm still allowed to post to the list, even though you are encouraging all blind people to use Google.
I was wondering if the list owner has the same views such as yours?
Wow, I  think it's time to move on from a list which a moderator keeps telling people what to do and how to do it.
all in the name of making blind people  independent and not relying on lists such as this.
Thanks for  your great enlightening post made my day!
Blind people are more cruel to each other then any other disability I have ever had a chance to meet.
Gene, instead of explaining your position on every thing people post could you write them privately so   y out don't clutter up t he list!
If you are owner of  the list,  please let us know?
Did Carlos encourage people to use Google as well?
I've had a discussion about this matter with you Gene on another list because it was so simple to get the answer from Google.
Please stop sitting on the fence and just tell people not to post questions on this list.
I certainly will be way more careful.
I've asked a thunder bird question and will continue to waste my time doing t he research instead of an regular  user could answer it a lot faster.
Gene, which tech lists do you not moderate so I can join one that doesn't mind questions.
Have a fantastic day all!

$$$$$$
$$$$
$$$

Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 1:46 AM

Neither the list owner nor I, the moderator, have said anything about this.  Since you may be interested in my opinion, not as a moderator, but as someone who doesn't like to see blind people needlessly depriving themselves of a lot of information available to blind people in real time and with complete independence, I'll give it.

You learn how to do Internet Searches by trial and error after you know the basic principles.  You won't get malware by doing a search.  You may get malware by going to a not trusted site.  The address to the site is given below the link to every result. 

If you are downloading something and you don't know and aren't sure what a trusted site is for the download, then asking makes sense.  Also, free programs increasingly are bundled with programs people don't want and that may cause problems even if the download comes from the producer of the program's site.  So again, asking makes sense if you are worried about that.  But in an era when Google is used for an enormous amount of information, a lot of blind people don't use it much.  After centuries of blind people being at a significant information disadvantage, when sighted people use Google constantly, it's indeed unfortunate that so many blind people don't do so. 

As far as the list is concerned, there is no list position about people asking questions or using Google.  A list member may express an opinion now and then, but that' is the opinion of the member.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:50 PM

sara  you  are a better woman then me.
it's hard to Google and not know what exactly one is looking for.
I also worry about malware.
But as I said if the list owners want me to check Google before posting to this list I'll abide by the rules just along as we all follow them.

$$$$$$
$$$$
$$$

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 7:47 PM

As a general role I do my best and google for what I need first. This causes me to learn about operateors etc and I might get information a lot faster than this list, or any other lists. If I cannot find the info I will reference the fact I did google for it and got no results.

Take care

On Feb 21, 2018, at 6:41 PM, Karim Lakhani <karim.lakhani@...> wrote:

thanks can we close this list to many questions are being asked when we can rely on google.

$$$$$$
$$$$
$$$

Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:49 AM

A Google search for OE Classic identities shows this article as the first result:

Yes, it has identities.  It doesn't say whether they are available in both the free and paid versions. 

See this page, containing a table about features.  You can't read it using table commands but just down arrowing through it reads self-explanatory lines and it makes perfect sense and is in logical order. 
Identities are only available in the pro version, which you must pay for.
Message rules are available in both versions.

Gene
-Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 6:24 AM

The question is, does it have identities in a free or relatively cheap
version. This and message rules are the most important things along with
read and unread flag reading etc.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OEClassic gets an update fixing more accessibility
issues

I did some web crawling. The pro version has identities, so not sure if that
is something you want, but I would comb through all of their news section
( https://www.oeclassic.com/news ) to see what features have been added. The
free version is on 27 now. 28, the more accessible version, will be free
when the pro version shoots up to 29. I can wait. No big deal for me, but I
think it is a one time payment? And you get upgrades for life? I'll have to
look at the website again though.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.