Re: Scanner / OCR recommendation

Gary Metzler

Hi,

I am not Rick but, I am using the current version of abby and it works quite well.  I hope this helps.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 10:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

HI.

You remind me here that I have been interested in this program for some time.

You say you are using an older version (11). What do you know about the current available versions? Perhaps, from an accessibility standpoint, specifically. I suppose if I were to buy the program, I would be getting the latest version, so before that happens, I’d want to make sure it works as well as yours does, you know?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: February 28, 2018 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

Evening, or at least here in New England it is.

I have been using Abby FineReader for years. It is my original version 11 and it is running well under Windows 10. Right now my scanner is part of my Cannon printer, and though a one page at a time model, it serves very well. Abby is remarkably accurate and will scan to a wide variety of formats including Word, Excel and Epic.

One of the little things I like about it is that when installed, it adds itself to the context menu. Find a PDF file , hit the context key, arrow down to Abby and press the right arrow to view the options of formats you can convert to. Press the enter key and Abby opens and converts the file and then opens it in the correct app.

The only change I would make right now is to move to a scanner with a document feeder. I am also serious about moving up several generations of Abby.

Honestly I owe Abby the purchase of a newer version. Over the years with several major crashes, support has been quick and clear and restoration was very simple.

Good luck finding a solution that works, does not require fifty key presses and most important does not cost too much. I am a firm believer in an application that does a single job, but does it very well.

As for OCR on an iPad, if you have not tried Seeing AI, it is quite  a program, with a variety of  functions and if is free on the Appstore. Interestingly it was developed and is well maintained by Microsoft.

Disclaimer here: I do not work for Abby nor do I sell any of their products. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of help, or just ask questions here.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:29 PM
Subject: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

Hi everyone,

I've got a query about a standalone scanner.  Is the OCR software which comes with any of the scanners such as Epson or Canon accessible (or even have an accessible Word plugin), or which third-party OCR would be worth considering?

I've personally used Omnipage and Abbyy in the past, and also had a scanner with an OCR plugin for Word that worked well, even though the main software wasn't great, but I haven't looked at anything recently to recommend.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.