NVDA reading fonts or unicode characters.

John Isige

Hi all. Got some spam email today, I don't care about the spam
obviously, but I found something interesting. Here's the subject and
possibly the sender.

Gᴇᴛ ADT ᴍᴏɴɪᴛᴏʀɪɴɢ ɴᴏᴡ ғᴏʀ Fʀᴇᴇ ᴏɴ ᴇǫᴜɪᴘᴍᴇɴᴛ  ADT Aᴜᴛʜ DLR SᴀғᴇSᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs

If I read that as a line, I hear letters and tone changes for question
marks, and the words "question mark". If I read by character, I get a
lot of silent characters. I sent it to my wife, joking that the spam
people needed to make their stuff readable if they want to hook me. She
says it's perfectly readable text to her. Obviously I could care less
about what the spam people are trying to hook me with, some sort of home
security system I think. But I'm interested in why it show up as
perfectly readable text to her, but gibberish to me.

I'm using NVDA, 2018.1-RC1, Windows 1709 or whatever the latest is, and
the latest Thunderbird. I don't think it has anything to do with Windows
or Thunderbird, unless I need different fonts installed in Windows, or
different Unicode character settings for Thunderbird or something. The
thing that makes it interesting to me is of course, that sort of stuff
might show up somewhere else, and I really would care about what it
says. So I was curious if there's anything I can do to turn that into
readable text to NVDA. Oh yeah, SAPI5 Eloquence from Code Factory, in
case the synthesizer matters.