Re: Scanner / OCR recommendation

Giles Turnbull

I too am a big fan of ABBYY Fine Reader. i use version 12 and don't have any accessibility concerns with it. I find their support email very quick and friendly too. I was curious whether I could use the same purchased licence on my laptop and tablet or if I'd need to install another purchased copy onto the tablet. I received this reply:

According to the End-User License Agreement (EULA) you may install ABBYY FineReader 12 Professional on two computers, but you may not use the software on both in the same time.
So in order to use the software on your tablet computer, please close ABBYY FineReader 12 on the laptop (please check in the system tray, if all the applications, such as Screenshot Reader and Business Card Reader are also closed).

Most times I use ABBYY to open a PDF doc into Word and then paste the text from there into a Notepad file. Using the main ABBYY window rather than the context menu option to convert to Word, I don't find ABBYY 12 menus respond any slower than any other program with NVDA. My only minor disappointment is that it seems very much tied to Microsoft formats. Yes it'll convert PDFs into Word and Excel, but why can't it convert the unformatted text into a .txt file?

I too purchased KNFB Reader when it was on cheap price offer, but I don't find it easy to navigate the interface. Interestingly, according to the Kurzweil website, K1000 uses "The ABBYY FineReader Version 11 OCR engine provides the most accurate OCR available. For the best possible scanning results,"

Giles