Re: Adjusting Microsoft voices (was RE: [nvda] Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA)

On 3/2/18, Melissa Hammitt <melissa.j.hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:
I figured it out. It helped to use the JAWS trial I had to do it. It
picks up more than NVDA does.
However the voices are ... odd. I'm hearing another voice when I'm
typing and don't know what it is. It is a tad laggy when it comes to
my typing.
Oh, well... I will have to figure it out or get a newer headset,
lol.This new one has a lot of bass to it that I can't turn off. It
also clips off the first letter of most lines, words, and button for
some reason when I use the add that shall not be named which is why I
looked into this again.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

On 3/2/18, JM Casey <crystallogic@ca.inter.net> wrote:
Hey again.

Yes, now that you mention it, I remember that list box where you have to
select being somewhat too silent with NVDA. I think I had better luck
with
JAWS 18, which I also have on this computer. I think I'll try playing
with
it again and see exactly what happens. This is something that NVDA users
should certainly be able to do without trouble.

I did not download that .exe file. It seemed like a better idea to just
use
the Windows interface to do this. I think the source is trustworthy but
I'm
not positive, and you'd have to give the program admin rights to muck
about
with your file permissions, so I dunno.

The good news is that Windows actually comes with a take ownership
utility.
It's called takeown.exe and I didn't know about it until recently. The
bad
news (possibly) is that it's command line only, so you'll have to get the
syntax right and everything. You'd have to run in command prompt,
administrator, or in powershell. I took a quick look at the usage info
with
"takeown /?" and, maybe because it's Friday evening and my brain is fried
trying to apply to jobs, but as of now I can't make head nor tail of it.
If
you're familiar with Windows command line applications though, this could
be
a no-brainer for you. It's been a long time since I had to tinker much
with
such things.