Re: Adjusting Microsoft voices (was RE: [nvda] Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA)

I use the add on quote that shall not be named " and it worked fine with my old headset that was just a plug-in headset. I don't use speaker to listen to my computer. I did not notice the change until I used this new headset--and I figured that it was the headset being as it is a USB headset. I think it just may be the ad on it self because I do not have the same issues when I use other synthesizers or the jaws trial. It is odd because I only get the first letter of each word clipped. When I do and NVDA up arrow to read that section again I don't get the first letter clipped. Another thing that it does sometimes is to pronounce and S as a be like instead of sound it will be bound.

Melissa

On Mar 3, 2018, at 10:23 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

We don't know what synthesizer you used with NVDA.  Why are you saing the headphones are related to the problem?  We don't have enough information to discuss the matter further.  If you use speakers, is whatever synthesizer you want used to be used?

Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2018 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Adjusting Microsoft voices (was RE: [nvda] Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA)

I wanted a headset. I also in particular about how to wear this headset--I prefer behind the head. I used my jaws trial and it did not do the same things that my synthesizer for NVDA did. I have 30 days left still to either get used to it or choose a different set. I might try and find the same model but using just a regular plug-in. I think I might look into getting eloquence--I'm hoping the other version that is not the ad on version works better. Thank you for taking the time to give me some opinions.

Melissa

On Mar 3, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

You might do better, and it would be simplir and perhaps cheaper, to get a simple pair of headphones you plug into the output jack of a sound card.  Just regular headphones that you can use with any standard output jack.  Many times, settings, if they are available to change bass and trebble are inaccessible in sound card software.  Just getting a cheap pair of headphones might be the best solution.  For convenience, you could get an extension cable with a volume knob so you can leave the computer volume setting the same.

If you want headphones for serious music listening you could get good standard headphones or good USB headphones but just for screen-reader use, just a cheap pair, maybe ten or fifteen U.S. dollars, might be fine.  I haven't listened to really cheap headphones so you might want to spend a little more.  If there is a store near you where you can buy headphones and it has a good return policy, that would allow you to return them more conveniently than by shipping them back somewhere.

Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2018 5:35 AM

Yes, these are USB headphones. I have gone through the sound setting to see if I can adjust them separately since they are basically their own sound card, but I have not been able to find something that would change the amount of base it is putting out.

Melissa

On Mar 3, 2018, at 12:59 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Are you using USB speakers and a USB headphone as well?

Sent: Friday, March 02, 2018 9:21 PM

I figured it out. It helped to use the JAWS trial I had to do it. It
picks up more than NVDA does.
However the voices are ... odd. I'm hearing another voice when I'm
typing and don't know what it is. It is a tad laggy when it comes to
my typing.
Oh, well... I will have to figure it out or get a newer headset,
lol.This new one has a lot of bass to it that I can't turn off. It
also clips off the first letter of most lines, words, and button for
some reason when I use the add that shall not be named which is why I
looked into this again.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.