Re: Adjusting Microsoft voices (was RE: [nvda] Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA)

Headsets don't usualy have drivers they work off generic drivers or something some do have drivers but the interfaces don't work with access the drivers do.

On 4/03/2018 5:04 a.m., Melissa Jean wrote:
I wanted a headset. I also in particular about how to wear this headset--I prefer behind the head. I used my jaws trial and it did not do the same things that my synthesizer for NVDA did. I have 30 days left still to either get used to it or choose a different set. I might try and find the same model but using just a regular plug-in. I think I might look into getting eloquence--I'm hoping the other version that is not the ad on version works better. Thank you for taking the time to give me some opinions.

Melissa
On Mar 3, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

You might do better, and it would be simplir and perhaps cheaper, to get a simple pair of headphones you plug into the output jack of a sound card. Just regular headphones that you can use with any standard output jack. Many times, settings, if they are available to change bass and trebble are inaccessible in sound card software. Just getting a cheap pair of headphones might be the best solution. For convenience, you could get an extension cable with a volume knob so you can leave the computer volume setting the same.

If you want headphones for serious music listening you could get good standard headphones or good USB headphones but just for screen-reader use, just a cheap pair, maybe ten or fifteen U.S. dollars, might be fine. I haven't listened to really cheap headphones so you might want to spend a little more. If there is a store near you where you can buy headphones and it has a good return policy, that would allow you to return them more conveniently than by shipping them back somewhere.

From: Melissa Jean
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2018 5:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: Adjusting Microsoft voices (was RE: [nvda] Giving up on CodeFactory voices in NVDA)

Yes, these are USB headphones. I have gone through the sound setting to see if I can adjust them separately since they are basically their own sound card, but I have not been able to find something that would change the amount of base it is putting out.

Melissa

On Mar 3, 2018, at 12:59 AM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

Are you using USB speakers and a USB headphone as well?