Re: Moving focus to where one needs to be rather than just the PC cursor position

Quentin Christensen

Hi Hank,

Numpad Plus does a say all with the review cursor (with desktop keyboard layout).  NVDA+numpad plus doesn't do anything (to my knowledge).

NVDA+numpad Enter (in desktop keyboard layout) will activate the current object, so there are various ways to get to a particular object, using any of the object navigation commands.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 5:45 AM, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:
so do you use
numpad plus
rather nvda numpad plus
and then nvda numpad enter?

On 3/5/2018 6:30 AM, Nancy Shackelford wrote:
Ah, I need to be doing your first piece of advice, and thank you ver much for this help. I will try the numpad+numpadEnter next time a similar siguation presents itself.

Thanks again,

Nance

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
Hi Nancy,

If you are using the review cursor and / or object navigation to move through a document / web page / application, and want to activate the current item, try NVDA+numpad enter (or with laptop keyboard layout NVDA+enter).  In many cases this will activate the current item similar to clicking on it with the mouse.

You can also try moving the system focus to the current item by pressing NVDA+shift+numpad minus (with laptop key layout press NVDA+shift+backspace).  At that point, you may be able to activate the item with SHIFT or ENTER etc depending on what it is and what you want to do.

In the Basic Training for NVDA see the "NVDA Review Cursor" section and the following "Object Navigation" section.  You can download the Review Cursor section for free as a trial of the book from: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/ (there is a "Basic NVDA Training eBook sample" link on that page).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 1:15 AM, Nancy Shackelford <n.k.nancelady@...> wrote:
I have found on apps dialogues and on web pages as well that I can read things with the numpad keys but can't make the cursor focus on these items. I cannot find this in the help topics. Can I do this, and if so, please list commands.

Thanks in advance,

Nance

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager