Re: NVDA doesn't work with bandcamp web site

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Very interesting. I've been learning a little about this stuff. Did you look at the source? Since I use bandcamp a fair amount myself and am slowly migrating more and more toward nVDA from JAWS (as I can no longer upgrade the latter), it seems worthwhile to contact Bandcamp about this, after all, even though it's not all that much trouble to get the "button" (in quotes) to work with NVDA.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: March 7, 2018 3:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA doesn't work with bandcamp web site

This web site took a <a> tag also known as a link and then declared it a button with text of "Play / Stop" using ARIA ( accessible rich internet application) attributes. They did not however do two essential items when converting one type of HTML to another:

First, Ensure keyboard accessibility. In fact, since the <a> tag does not have a web reference in it, the browser does not see the link as a true link that get keyboard focus. So one cannot hit tab to get to the button and in fact NVDA declares it a non-focusable item.

Second HTML object pretending to be a button, the web developer needs to enable actions when non-mouse actions occur. I expected that when the navigator was on the play/stop button that a nvda-enter command would have caused a mouse click on the location of the navigator cursor, but it does not, so the only way NVDA can activate this button is by moving the mouse to the bbutton with NVDA-numapad-slash followed by a numpad-slash to actually press the left mouse button.

It is quite sad that the developer knew enough accessibility to configure things so a screen reader thinks the graphic with a mouse action is a Play button but then does not go the additional path to adding appropriate handlers so it is can take focus and respond to key actions. Of course if the web developer had just used an HTML <button> tag, then since this is a html type that the browser and screen readers know what to do with, everything would have worked with all disabilities with no additional work. Perhaps they didn't want the buttons to be in the tab sequence.

´╗┐On 3/7/18, 3:04 PM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Rusty Perez" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of rustys.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

I wonder why it works fine with JFW-18.

> Generalizing from a sample of one or two and stating an erroneous conclusion
> as a fact when it isn't. Five or six people have said that the method
> works. It doesn't work in your case, or we should say, something doesn't
> work in your case. It may have nothing to do with this method not working.
> it may be a problem you are having because the audio itself isn't playing
> for some reason.
>
> This procedure or other procedures than just using space bar or enter on
> such buttons is common enough that it is necessary to know it and to try it.
> It often works or other methods may work when the first preferred methods
> don't. I wouldn't have been able to listen to audio or videos on many sites
> if I didn't use this method.
>
> Gene

>>> for me.