Many tech experts now suggest that anti-virus programs should not be used, that Windows Security is good enough for most users, and that using other security software actually could leave your machine more vulnerable to attack. this is for home users, not for enterprise users, but for the average home user, the built-in security software is good enough, along with a router firewall and the one built into the OS, and proper surfing habbits such as not clicking on links and opening attachments in e-mails you do not know and trust. I don't know if I am ready to adopt this advice yet, but this is what many tech experts are recommending now.

As for me, I recommend Sophos. Sophos is focused on the enterprise market, and they have a very robust home version at this time that is nearly fully accessible from their web interface. it is a program i recommend highly. It has also been rated pretty highly by independent lab testing methodologies.

Thanks.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 9:18 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Actually, I was being sarcastic about the only way to stop getting infected.
A never used machine is very safe indeed.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus Program

Turn the machine off?  When?  When you go to a web site with hacked
advertising and your machine has already been infected with no indication of
it to the user?  Or if you absentmindedly do something you shouldn't do?
I'm not infallible.  Once, I wasn't thinking about what I was doing and I
followed a link that came in a message that looked as though it came from
someone I knew.  I just wasn't thinking at the moment.  Avast wouldn't let
me connect with the web site.  What would have happened if I wasn't running
an antivirus program?  Who knows?  I don't recall ever doing something like
that before or since.  But I just wasn't thinking one time in a lot of years
of computer use.

You have to take actions to be infected in many cases, but there are cases,
and their number is growing, where you don't.  You can greatly reduce the
danger by using a JAVA script blocker or by turning scripts off except on
sites where they are necessary.  But just saying turn the computer off only
works in cases where malware wants you to click something like a yes or ok
button or no button on a web page.  It doesn't matter what button you click.
Clicking any button will cause the malware to install.  So, in those cases,
just shutting down the computer will stop you from being infected.  But if
it were that easy not to become infected, these antimalware companies
wouldn't exist.