Re: Anti Virus Program

Gene

You keep saying the user is almost always the vector.  that is not correct.  the user is often the vector.  If malicious web sites couldn't infect machines without the user doing anything except going to the site, if hacked advertising, which is becoming an increasing problem even on very reputable sites, couldn't infect your computer unless you did something first, then people who were careful wouldn't need antimalware programs.  Not to have some protection is a bad idea.

Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus Program

I think the main issue here is that every anti virus solution lulls the user
into thinking, I don't care, the anti virus will protect me, but it wont as
all of them are reactive. they cannot protect you from something unknown
unless it uses obvious code to do it and it is this last fact, ie they look
for common hacks that causes all the false positives, particularly on access
software.
 I am really surprised at Mozilla falling for this one, by attempting to
sandbox almost all of the inner workings of Firefox and having to re invent
the wheel for access software. This in my view simply stimulates people to
hack the code, or use access software as the vector, but then that would
only infect a very small number of machines.
 Most malware needs to be able to compromise your machine unknown to you so
you can pass it on, and also not let you see it so they have time to exploit
the control or snooping they have.
 If you presume you have very little protection you will I hope not be so
cavalier about what sites you go to in case they are infected. Its nearly
always the user who is the vector. We are entering a time where most of the
good exploits are known and patched, so the user is the only part of a
system you cannot install anti virus on!

Sorry but that is my view. All those people I have seen who have got a
mangled unusable system have done it to themselves, maybe not knowingly, but
we do need to educate people  that if you store your life online, its just
as bad to go to dodgy neighbourhoods virtually on your machine as it is to
walk into a no go area of a city at night and wonder why some moped riding
dork nicks your phone.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.