From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:12 AM
Subject: [nvda] IMPORTANT COMMUNITY ADVISORY: NVDA next snapshots will include wxPython 4.0.1

Hi NVDA community,

The following is considered important due to massive impact it'll have:

For those following the GitHub issue:

wxPython 4 came out in February 2018 (subsequently updated to 4.0.1 a few
days later). As this is a necessary milestone on our preparation to move to
Python 3, wxPython 4 watchers (including NV Access, I, Leonard de Ruijter
and others) felt it would be good to let the community test wxPython 4
integration for a while. As the chief investigator for wxPython 4 migration,
I'm happy to announce that, as of today, NVDA next branch snapshots will
include wxPython 4. However, this means it'll have issues, the biggest one
being outdated add-ons (unfortunately, NVDA Remote Support add-on is one of
those add-ons that won't work under wxPython 4 due to calls to deprecated
methods). If you run into other issues or bugs, please let me and other
develoeprs know ASAP via GitHUb or email.

notes for community:

* For NVDA Core developers: if you are working on any sort of GUI
work, please test wxPython 4 migration via a private branch or two. This is
especially the case for me and Leonard as we are both working on GUI edits
(Leonard's work on multi-page settings dialog and my work on add-on update
client interface).
* For add-on writers: please update your add-ons as soon as possible.
When updating your add-ons, please try using code paths that'll work on both
wxPython 3 (Classic) and wxPython 4 (Phoenix) to maximize compatibility).
* For users: as noted above, please report any bugs with wxPython 4
integration via GitHub or email as soon as you run across them.
* For Python 3 researchers: I advise pausing our research for a little
while until wxPython 4 lands on NVDA master snapshots.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph