Thanks everyone for your thoughts - no purchase yet, but lots of new information.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 3:28 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
Back in the old days, well today actually as I'm still doing it on windows 7, I had Office pro xp/2002, and that had office tools one item of which was scan and ocr. This worked as follows. After you loaded the drivers for the scanner in question, the program asked you to select it as default, only done the once. it then scanned each page and you could bring down a menu at any time when the scan image was on screen and an option copy recognised text to a new word document was there and you operated it and there you were.  What it could be set to also do was put the unrecognised stuff in as graphics, which I found not very helpful so never allowed it.

You could then edit it as needed  It did preserve formatting in that it would attempt to use spaces to do the formatting but seldom got it completely correct.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2018 11:16 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Scanner / OCR recommendation

As far as I know, the document that appeared in the program window was never properly accessible.  I don't have Word.  I used the program a little many years ago.  I would scan a page. Select all, control a, copy it to the clipboard, then paste into a Notepad file.  I wanted a text copy, not a copy with formatting.  It was just for my own reading. Then I would scan another page and repeat the procedure.  I don’t know what the program did in general.  The version I had would ask me if I wanted to save the text, as I recall.  I said no and scanned the next page, selected the text, copied it to the clipboard, etc.

I didn't have a program like Word to scan the text into.  It was a little cumbersome but it wasn't bad.