Re: Help: NVDA does not recognize objects anymore

Michel Such

In my case, I can't say if the problem was due to Windows Update, or to a software my wife recently installed on the machine.

As I installed the same Windows Update on my other machies that are nearly configured the same way, I strongly suspect this new software which I never heard about before.

Le 16/03/2018 à 10:26, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
Hmm seems then that this part, because it needs to be done in that mode is not being done by the tool. In my case it was not needed, hence it working for me then.
It kind of makes you wonder what on earth is going on here. Its quite obviously windows update, but it may well also be contributed to by something else.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Michel Such" <michel.such@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Help: NVDA does not recognize objects anymore

Hi Gene,

Waw! Reregistering the system32 dlls fixed the problem.

Sory, at first time I did not read your mail entirely.

But I am going to archive it ifor the case this would happen again.

Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@...>
Michel, son chat et son ordi
Le 16/03/2018 à 08:37, Gene New Zealand a écrit :

Hi

Below where you got the snap shot in the email there was another part
where you had to go into command prompt.

I was hoping the snapshot would do it.

Below that was some info from off my website about going into the
command prompt and entering in some lines of code did you give that a
whirl? I know it has fixed other peoples machines but may need a
sighted person to enter it in and it need to be followed to a T. make
sure you aare admin to do it as in the email.

hopefully that will fix it.

I am thinking also if you can set nvda to debug in the general
settings and save your settings when you start up nvda again for the
first time go into the areas where you are having problems NVDA will
record what is happening then you will need to save the log.

This is done under the tools section in nvdait is called view log and
you will need to go into it then save the log to your say desk top so
is easy to find. We will see if it or it will be added to the ticket.
they may need extra info but think it will be recorded.

Gene nz

Gene nz

On 3/16/2018 8:00 PM, Michel Such wrote:

Hi Gene,

Jus tried the com registration fixing toll, and it does not fix the
proble.

I ran the NVDA installer in administrative mode to make sure it could
update registry, restarted the machine after that, but no improvement.

Thanks anyway.

Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@...>
Michel, son chat et son ordi
Le 15/03/2018 à 21:28, Gene New Zealand a écrit :

hi

the following might help. There is a next snap shot that is meant to
fix it but not sure if it is totally finished for the tool.

the snap shot was created last night and can be found at
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/
<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/>

You can jump down by headings to where the next snap shots are and
there is a download link.

But if it is the same bug i have seen you will not be able to use
your browser to get it. may be a sighted friend can grab it for you?

I am just downloading it now and will also drop box it for you if
you can not get it that way. It can be gotten from
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4nazm0q8te5ivg/nvda_snapshot_next-14952%2Cdd1cbe50.exe?dl=0

If you do the following in the email to get it you should get it
down. Locate the second link which is the drop box link with the
letter k for link in the email. Then you will need to use the
applications key on the link then arrow down to save link i think it
is then press the enter key. It will ask you to save it some where
save it some where easy to find like the desk top.

If you can not use nvda you might have to use narrator to locate the
link and do the same.

When the file is on the desk top or where ever you put it locate the
next snapshot file then press the enter key on it. It should start
up with the musical sound. there will be the documentation screen
tab to the check box and agree to it. It should not have to be
installed. Tab again then use the nvda key + letter N to get into
the nvda preferences then arrow down to tools a sub menu will come
off it then locate the comms fixing tool I forget what it is called.
You will know it when you come across it. Press the enter key on it
it will then come up with a message likeit had to do some thing to
the registery i can not remember the wording tab to the yes button
then press the enter key on it.

Sorry i can not help you after that. I am thinking it should fix the
problems you might have to do a reboot but not sure as i have not
used the tool which is actually a snap shot.

I will also put in the other way from off my website below.

It has to be followed to a T

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your
browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or
“pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no
matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot
get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and
other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed
above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may
not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to
re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box.
Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in
the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the
context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press
the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This
will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with
the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying
“unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons
in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of
the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other
places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

hopefully one of the ways either the snap shot or this way will
hopefully fix it for you.

By the way if the latest snapshot fixes it can you let us know please.

Gene nz

On 3/16/2018 3:59 AM, Michel Such wrote:

Hi all,

I encounter a very strange problem on a machine where all used to
work fine.

It runs Windows 10 latest update and NVDA 2018.1.

In Mozilla apps, (thunderbird, Firefox) any object is announced as
"unknown".

More generally, in any app, conext menus are nomore spoken.

I triend to uninstall and reinstall NVDA, even deleting the NVDA
configuration directory, but it definitely does not work.

Has anyone encountered this and know how to fix it ?

--
Michel Such <mailto:michel.such@...>
Michel, son chat et son ordi

--