Re: Remapping Keys

Gene

Why do you want to switch to Edge?  Only a small percent of Windows users use it.  I'm talking about sighted users.  I haven't read anything about Edge that sounds like a significant advantage and since so few sighted people use it, maybe they, too, see no need to switch.  I recall reading about one or two features I thought were nice but nothing that makes me care, particularly, whether I use it or not.

From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I was feeling just like the OP at one time.

I just decided to leave JAWS alone completely, and focus all of my attention on using/learning NVDA 2018.1.

Following the manual on this page is getting me through pretty good:

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html

My main problem was the numpad. Been using JAWS for over 18 years and the numpad was all I used to read text and navigate the screen.

Now I have to keep in mind that the numpad keys in NVDA are for the Review cursor. The Review cursor and the system focus/system caret (Controlled by arrow keys, text review commands etc.)are two different cursors. The review cursor follows the system focus/caret cursor. That's what was throwing me off.

Also having the Review cursor numpad reading functions setup like so: 7, 8, 9 (Line) 4, 5, 6 (Word) and 1, 2, 3 (Character) was also throwing me off. JAWS has the numpad setup differently for reading/navigating text.

I've totally devoted my time to learning NVDA. Not only that, but learning how to use all of it's features the right way. I really never did that with JAWS. Was stuck in the JAWS v8 mode, and never took full advantage of the v9 - 2018 feature additions. Now is my chance to do just that with NVDA: A screenreader that's just as good.

Heck, it's already converted me to using Thunderbird over Eudora Pro. Close to switching from Google Chrome to MS Edge (A lot of the "Single letter navigation keys don't work in Edge. It's keeping me from making the switch for now.)

On 3/16/2018 10:51 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure but it's a very bad idea.  The keys are used in screen review and object navigation.  If you change them, you will lose very importan functionality.  Have you learned to use screen review as designed and object navigation as designed?  It really isn't difficult to learn the NVDA commands and some of them are actually more convenient.  Read current line, just numpad 8 by itself, is more pleasant and convenient than numpad insert numpad 8.  It's usually better to use a screen-reader as designed no matter which one it is.  If you change things that are reserved for the screen-reader without knowing in detail how the screen-reader interface is designed, you run the risk of losing significant functionality.  NVDA isn't JAWS.  Try using it as NVDA.

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Remapping Keys

Hi,

I use both Jaws and NVDA.

Is there a way to remap the numberpad keys to work like Jaws keys?

I would like the keys 2, 4, 6, and 8 to read line up and left, right and line down respectively, and the home, page up, end, and page down for the 1, 3, 7, and 9.

I would also prefer the zero key be used for changing these keys like Jaws does too.

If anyone has already done this, is there a way to import them to NVDA, maybe as an add-on?

Thanks.

Glenn Ervin  Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436