Re: Choosing a Laptop

Don H

I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.

On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do you all think?
On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Choosing a Laptop

Hi, everyone. This is Lanie Molinar. I'm sending this to a lot of lists at once. Some are tech-related, some are related to software development, and some are for students. I might have to get a new laptop soon and have a few questions. First, let me give you a little background info to help you understand what I'm looking for. I'm a college student getting a degree in Software Engineering, so I'll be working with code and developing things. I also have several disabilities and health issues in addition to my blindness, so I can't do much physically and spend a lot of my day on the computer doing schoolwork, taking surveys for extra money, gaming, and doing lots of other stuff. I'm fairly sure that I want a computer with Windows 10, not a Mac, although I'm willing to look into a Mac if that seems better. I would also be happy with something running Linux. I definitely want something new, not used, with plenty of RAM. There are so many options that I'm just not sure what to look for or where to get it. Again, I also need something that can handle being used all day, gaming, and developing software. My family is low-income, so I need to get it from somewhere that offers good payment plans. Can anyone give me some advice on how to choose a laptop, good places to buy one from, and what I should get? For those on software development- related lists, I'm interested in what would be best for a developer. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com