Re: Choosing a Laptop

Don H

I have had a lot of good luck with HP laptops. I don't buy their cheapest models. For example I have a HP envy laptop that I bought for under $700. It has a Intel 7 processor 12 Gig of Ram and a TB hard drive. At that price I can buy two more and still be below the price on the computer you are looking at. However on the other side of the thought if you can afford it why not buy what you want. So if that is what you want go for it. Only other thought is that computers and electronics in general go down in value really fast. If you are paying $100 per month you will owe more on the computer than its worth before the first year is out.

On 3/17/2018 3:49 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
It is expensive, but it has everything I need. Also, I've been doing research and most really good laptops seem to be around that price point. I'm going to be using it hard every day, so I need something that can handle that and won't have problems.
On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.

On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do you all think?

On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lanie Molinar
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Choosing a Laptop

Hi, everyone. This is Lanie Molinar. I'm sending this to a lot of lists at once. Some are tech-related, some are related to software development, and some are for students. I might have to get a new laptop soon and have a few questions. First, let me give you a little background info to help you understand what I'm looking for. I'm a college student getting a degree in Software Engineering, so I'll be working with code and developing things. I also have several disabilities and health issues in addition to my blindness, so I can't do much physically and spend a lot of my day on the computer doing schoolwork, taking surveys for extra money, gaming, and doing lots of other stuff. I'm fairly sure that I want a computer with Windows 10, not a Mac, although I'm willing to look into a Mac if that seems better. I would also be happy with something running Linux. I definitely want something new, not used, with plenty of RAM. There are so many options that I'm just not sure what to look for or where to get it. Again, I also need something that can handle being used all day, gaming, and developing software. My family is low-income, so I need to get it from somewhere that offers good payment plans. Can anyone give me some advice on how to choose a laptop, good places to buy one from, and what I should get? For those on software development- related lists, I'm interested in what would be best for a developer. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com