Re: Choosing a Laptop

Sarah k Alawami

I paid over 3 grand for my laptop but I over did everything so I could future proof it for about 5 to 7 years.. Plus it's custom built. It is serving my needs but I do a lot of video gaming and capturing of video, hopefully one day 4k video etc..

Drive c has 500 gigs. Drive d has 1 tb. 32 gigs of ram. A 6 ghz processor and a 4 ghz gpu. And the paste on everything, plus windows  pro. That's about it. I am an  affiliate for this company so if you want to know more hit me off list as I don't want to clutter the list.

On Mar 17, 2018, at 8:07 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,
Depends on manufacturer and model. I’ve seen laptops go under 500 dollars (as low as 250).
Lanie’s requirements sort of reflect what I did last year when ordering a Lenovo ThinkPad. I got a Core I5 with 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD, intending for software development work and for testing various apps. I also asked for a fingerprint reader and touchscreen for various reasons (in particular, I needed a touchscreen device in order to continue my work with one particular add-on). All this (a custom-built Lenovo ThinkPad T470) cost 1400 dollars. Lanie may have gotten more powerful components and a newer processor than mine, which may explain the higher cost.
As for development work: I hope you can tell us stories of adventures with Windows Subsystem for Linux. Soon, you’ll be blown away by a feature that’ll make some software development scenarios easier (I’ll give a brief demo of that one at an upcoming Accessible World Tek Talk presentation).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Choosing a Laptop

aren't the poorest, underpowered and cheap laptops around 500 dollars in the states? I definately wouldn't get anything below an i5, and would try to get the latest eighth gen processor, which has 4 cores instead of 2.

On 3/18/2018 1:11 AM, Gene wrote:
What does using it hard mean?  It's not necessarily how many hours a day you use it but how you use it.  You don't want to get a cheap bottom of the line laptop, but for a lot of users, a roughly five hundred dollar laptop, perhaps cheaper if it's on sale, will serve.  You might want to see which are the most reliable laptops.  I don't follow this, but I have seen surveys, which may be done every year, I'm not sure, with some information about this.  and companies may put out a model that holds up well and another that doesn't.  So I wouldn't assume that if one model is good from a certain company, that they all are.

I didn't look at the web site to see the price nor did I look at the specifications yet,  but what is everything and what is using it hard?

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 3:49 PM

It is expensive, but it has everything I need. Also, I've been doing
research and most really good laptops seem to be around that price
point. I'm going to be using it hard every day, so I need something that
can handle that and won't have problems.

On 3/17/2018 3:36 PM, Don H wrote:
> I think it is crazy to pay so much for a laptop.
>
> On 3/17/2018 1:39 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
>> I just looked at the Lenovo website since several people recommended
>> them. They have a 10% student discount on some of their laptops. I
>> think I might have just found a good one for me. Take a look at this:
>> https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X380-Yoga/p/20LH000MUS
>>
>> I like how it can be a laptop or a tablet and how it has a
>> fingerprint reader. My mom said that I could get both a laptop and a
>> Braille notetaker or display if I could keep the payments for each
>> one under $100 per month. I did some calculations and found out that
>> with this laptop, if I take 2 years to pay it off, the payments would
>> be about $84 per month. It sounds like a really nice laptop. What do
>> you all think?
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 12:44 PM, Andre wrote:
>>> How about computers for the blind.com? Phone: 214-340-6328

>>> RAM. There are so many options that I'm just not sure what to look