Re: creating filters in gmail

On Sun, Mar 6, 2016 at 03:08 pm, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:
I forgot that you can't create message rules with an immap account.

 It is true that you cannot use message rules or filters (depending on the terminology of the e-mail client if you're using one) on the client side of IMAP accounts.

However, you absolutely can create message filters on the Gmail website, as I mentioned previously, and if you apply labels based upon a given filter criterion/criteria being met a new IMAP folder is created when the first message is processed through the filter and that folder propagates out to your e-mail client.

I'm using Gmail IMAP with the Win10 Mail app, Windows Live Mail, and MS-Outlook 2010 and the filters "attach labels" if you're using the Gmail web interface and create IMAP folders that you see if you're using an e-mail client.