I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I've just caught up on all my emails. If I understood an earlier thread
correctly, despite our complaints when 2017.4 came out, the devs did not
roll back the version of espeak packaged with NVDA to the version in
2017.3, which means that I will not be updating NVDA, despite the
wonderful-sounding new features.

Espeak, and subsequently Espeak NG, has been my default synth since I
started using NVDA. There was an issue in 2014 but I was able to get
used to that, and then it got fixed, so I was contented. The problems I
found in the espeak packaged with 2017.4 were more than I could stand,
as someone who primarily uses NVDA to read fanfiction and my own
stories. However, Espeak is among the only synths compatible with NVDA's
inflection slider, which I have maxed out for optimal performance. I'm
not about to sacrifice broad inflection for the drones of MS voices, and
I'm currently using a Win 7 computer, but even if I was on a Win 10 one,
the 1Core voices don't do it for me either. They're pleasant, but also
flat. No inflection. No way to change the inflection. I can't stand
human-sounding voices because they're less flexible than synthetic ones
in this regard. Also, nearly all non Espeak voices are slow as well as
flat, partially due to the length of pauses between clauses of a
sentence, and this is about as unbearable as the flatness. And there is
one more thing that really clinches my unwillingness to change synths. I
cannot get anything else to cooperate with my speech dictionary. As I
said, I read a lot of fanfiction, and I have put lots of characters'
names and the names of Pokémon into my dictionary so that they are
pronounced properly. The other synths simply do not like these names, no
matter what I try to do with them, and some of them even pronounced my
name wrong, so I gave up on them.

This is why I want whoever's developing Espeak to roll back their
changes to a previous version (surely they have older versions backed up
somewhere. I would if I was developing something like this), and for
NVDA to likewise roll back the version packaged with it until the devs
of the synth work out how to alter one language without screwing up
twenty others in the process. I know I can only go so far before I am
forced to update to the latest version of NVDA or be left to languish as
more and more things become incompatible with the last tolerable version
I have.

Please, I am begging you, do something about this.