Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed speaking in 2017.4?

ely.r@...

Lino,

Just now picking up on this thread, so if suggestions here have be put forward, apologies.

Do you have access to an Apple phone or tablet? For a long time, I felt as you do. Synthesizer reading was always my last choice. For years now, I have used Voice Dream Reader and my go to voice is James. The quality of his reading is exceptional. The number and range of recorded books will always be limited as quality recording takes far more time than the listening length of a book and therefore is costly. Book share’s collection is now up over half a million books and growing all the time. I am no longer a student so cannot access Bookshare for free,. However $50 per year gives me access to the entire library. More and more often I hear a review of a book that has just been published in print, and when I check at Bookshare, it is already there. I like the features that let me bookmark passages, highlight text, and copy it if I want and even add my own annotation.

I pushed myself to learn to read synthesizer read books when I discovered James. I picked a book that I had longed to read but for which there was no recorded copy. Half way through that book, it just didn’t matter at all that I was not hearing a human reader. I still read many recorded books, but the digital option has opened a whole new library.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road

Florence, MA 01062

&413()  727-3038

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 4:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Also, I often prefer hearing an efficient synthesizer such as Eloquence or Via Voice or Dectalk when listening to a book.  When I'm using a computer or a device like a note taker or tablet, I can check how anything is spelled, I can very easily copy and paste if I want or need to take notes, andI can listen more quickly.

It allows you to be closer to the actual text.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 1:11 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
> This is what talking books are for. Regardless of what synth I use. You realize bla hearing a book ready by a speech synth would be? Boring. It would put me to sleep.

But not all books are made into audio books. In fact, the vast majority are not. And if you're into online fiction, synth reading is the only game in town.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.