Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward

Oh, sorry. I did not know you were talking to them specifically. If I caused any offense, I apologise.

On 26/03/2018 7:35 AM, Gene wrote:
No, there is no excuse to ruin something by way of improvement  But I was responding to the post from Lino and pointing out that there are reasons people may prefer using a synthesizer instead of a book being read by a reader on a recording.

Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

My point here is, until recently, I could read things with Espeak NG, including stories and Tumblr text posts, without any issues. Some of the changes made to Espeak NG were minor and not unpleasant to my ears. It's only the recent slurring and weird pronunciations of words like "resignedly" that make me twitch whenever they come up and jar me out of my immersion. Espeak never used to do this. I've been using it more or less constantly for six years. Is it really too much to ask that it not be ruined when it was doing just fine two NVDA releases ago?

On 26/03/2018 7:02 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, I often prefer hearing an efficient synthesizer such as Eloquence or Via Voice or Dectalk when listening to a book.  When I'm using a computer or a device like a note taker or tablet, I can check how anything is spelled, I can very easily copy and paste if I want or need to take notes, andI can listen more quickly.

It allows you to be closer to the actual text.

Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 1:11 PM

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...> wrote:
> This is what talking books are for. Regardless of what synth I use. You realize bla hearing a book ready by a speech synth would be? Boring. It would put me to sleep.

But not all books are made into audio books. In fact, the vast majority are not. And if you're into online fiction, synth reading is the only game in town.