Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Sharni-Lee Ward

I don't have any decent microphones, or even a draft ready to record as
yet. I use NVDA to read the following: drafts of my original stories,
drafts of my fanfictions, others' fanfictions on various archive sites,
emails, posts on Tumblr, stories on Tumblr, forum posts, Skype
conversations and other such blocks of text. I have long since become
used to how the speech sounds with Espeak, and my imagination does the
rest. The voice doesn't vary, sure, but there's nothing I can do about
that so I don't complain about it.

I don't know whether you were rude to me because I was snappy in
seen because you don't like me for some reason, but either way, it was
uncalled-for, and I do not appreciate it. I would also far rather just
be able to press "say-all" and read than buy half a dozen programs and
pieces of equipment and spend inordinate amounts of time recording, even
longer if I'm being a decent human being and considering the needs of
the people with whom I share my living space. However possible it may
be, it's not something to be expected of anyone who has a life, and a
day job, and writes for a hobby, which although not my goal, is the
situation most of my friends and the authors of my favourite stories are in.

On 26/03/2018 12:47 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well I read a book thata library put in a tts voice, realspeak daniel
I think.

Now I don't mind the book was interesting, and was a 2 hour long book
but its just not the same as a real narator.

Saying that, could you an unknown author make a book well I think you
can.

I mean you have musicians make music without a recording studio just
their hardware.

So a computer or recorder, a good microphone and some sound
suppression and good recording software will do.

Now if you can read your book, then its possible to make a straight
mp3, maybe even daisy recording easily enough.

Hosting it if you have the space, maybe even publishing it yourself
and if thats all you want to do, so be it.

Ofcause your crappy home quality stuff may not be as good as the pro
stuff depending on what you have.

A good microphone, and some software if all that is is you reading and
maybe something to clear out the junkyness will do.

You probably could make something in goldwave, balabolka, or even
audacity to be honest.

Here's the thing, you need to read your book back to the recorder in a
natural non crappy way.

Firstly, reading with speech is hopeless speech means you need to
listen to it, then read it I have tried its totally useless I was
never good at it.

Assuming you can read braille have it transcribed to braille assuming
you have the ability to print it or display it means you have a half
decent chance of reading the book but if like me you are not a fast
reader at all and are not used to read and speak at the same time its
going to be hard.

The easiest way is to employ a reader to read your book for you from
either the document or a printed material.

Weather thats fine if someone does it to your recorder or a
professional recording is up to you.

If you can afford the expensive software, maybe even reeper does this
for you and a mixer or something and can spend days or the time to
clear all the delays out then, maybe you have a chance in hell of
actually making it work.

But is it worth hiring all that out or doing it yourself to publish
your probably crappy excuse  for a book.

Now its different if you do it in text or digital, make cash, have it
published by a mainstream publisher, have it printed, get cash and
royalties and then you either get it done by others or yourself.

But unless you are jonothan mosen or those tuys from librivox I
wouldn't even try it.

Even so the stuff from librivox is not professional quality by any means.

And thats only the tip of the iceberg rights, publishers and all the
issues with publishing mainstream if you go that rout.

Those guys are finickity about what they actually accept.

Now if you want to know, is it possible then yes it is.

It also depends what you have allready.

I have goldwave, several ok cheap to medium microphones, goldwave,
virtual recorder, audacity, sets of headphones, 2 field sony recorders
that will do just that, and sound effects.

What do I know, I can record.

Can I mix, a little with soundrecorder but not much.

Can I change a file's properties, probably.

I can't host, but even so I have enough for a home made book maybe if
I ever published one.

But there would be background noise, I havn't bothered with any actual
training as such but I do have enough for a unprofessional raw piece
of crap something, but I probably wouldn't get much of a living from it.

And thats another thing, take all those fees and such and authors even
those in mainstream are lucky to even make cash on things, unless you
are lucky and you may get lucky a lot or never again.

On 26/03/2018 8:38 a.m., Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Gee, I never thought of that! Are all my favourite fanfictions
audiobooks? Are all the smalltime authors whose books I read now able
to afford to make their works audiobooks? Are Tumblr writers who have
created fictional works on the spur of the moment able to access such
resources now? Can I, an as-yet unpublished author, miraculously turn
my shoddy early drafts into pleasant-to-hear audiobooks?

No? Didn't think so. Also audiobooks are stupidly expensive and
sometimes the narration leaves much to be desired. Espeak was doing
just fine before. I could use my imagination to do the work it
couldn't, and maxed inflection made that easier. Sure, if I was using
a sapi voice, or Vocaliser, I'd fall asleep fast, because there's.
No. Inflection. In. Those. Voices. So. They. Sound. Really. Dull.
And. Uninterested.

On 26/03/2018 5:08 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
This is what talking books are for. Regardless of what synth I use.
You realize bla hearing a book ready by a speech synth would be?
Boring. It would put me to sleep.

Lino Morales