From: <ely.r@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed speaking in 2017.4?

Lino,

Just now picking up on this thread, so if suggestions here have be put
forward, apologies.

Do you have access to an Apple phone or tablet? For a long time, I felt as
you do. Synthesizer reading was always my last choice. For years now, I have
used Voice Dream Reader and my go to voice is James. The quality of his
reading is exceptional. The number and range of recorded books will always
be limited as quality recording takes far more time than the listening
length of a book and therefore is costly. Book share's collection is now up
over half a million books and growing all the time. I am no longer a student
so cannot access Bookshare for free,. However $50 per year gives me access
to the entire library. More and more often I hear a review of a book that
has just been published in print, and when I check at Bookshare, it is
already there. I like the features that let me bookmark passages, highlight
text, and copy it if I want and even add my own annotation.

I pushed myself to learn to read synthesizer read books when I discovered
James. I picked a book that I had longed to read but for which there was no
recorded copy. Half way through that book, it just didn't matter at all that
I was not hearing a human reader. I still read many recorded books, but the
digital option has opened a whole new library.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely

TVI, Vision Consultant

451 Rocky Hill Road