From: "Giles Turnbull" <giles.turnbull@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 3:02 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speech on Word 2016 ribbons

Hi all,

this is a question about Microsoft Word 2016 which I am using on a Win10 laptop with NVDA 2018.1

If I have no Word documents open and then open one, NVDA speaks every object (apologies if ‘object’ is the wrong word), such as when I press Alt and then arrow accross the ribbon it will say "Ribbon Toolbar" before speaking Home and again before speaking Insert and again before speaking Design and Layout etc.

When I enter the home ribbon and tab through the formatting options NVDA speaks the following:

Font grouping
Bold toggle button pressed Make your text bold. Alt, H, 1 Ctrl+B
Font tool bar
Italic button Ctrl+I; Alt, H, 2
Home grouping
Font grouping
Italic toggle button not pressed Italicize your text. Alt, H, 2 Ctrl+I
Font tool bar
Underline grouping Alt, H, 3
Home grouping
Font grouping
Underline split button collapsed Underline your text. Alt, H, 3
Font tool bar
Strikethrough button Alt, H, 4
Home grouping
Font grouping
Strikethrough toggle button not pressed Cross something out by drawing a line through it. Alt, H, 4
Font tool bar
Subscript button Ctrl+=; Alt, H, 5
Home grouping
Font grouping
Subscript toggle button not pressed Type very small letters just below the line of text. Alt, H, 5 Ctrl+=

If I re-start NVDA and tab through the same set of formatting options (without re-opening the Word doc) it is not as vocal, which I much prefer ... it now says:

Clear Formatting button Remove all formatting from the selection, leaving only the normal, unformatted text. Alt, H, E
Bold toggle button pressed Make your text bold. Alt, H, 1 Ctrl+B
Italic toggle button not pressed Italicize your text. Alt, H, 2 Ctrl+I
Underline split button collapsed Underline your text. Alt, H, 3
Strikethrough toggle button not pressed Cross something out by drawing a line through it. Alt, H, 4
Subscript toggle button not pressed Type very small letters just below the line of text. Alt, H, 5 Ctrl+=
Superscript toggle button not pressed Type very small letters just above the line of text. Alt, H, 6 Ctrl+Shift++

Can anyone explain why I experience this? I presume it's not something in the NVDA settings since otherwise re-starting NVDA presumably wouldn't have any effect. I'm happy with the “Make your text bold. Alt, H, 1 Ctrl+B” part, it's just the repetition of which ribbon or ribbon group I'm in that drives me nuts!

I'm using the speech viewer to record what NVDA is saying in both cases.

Thanks :)

Giles