Re: I take it there have been no improvements to the flawed espeak ng in 2017.4?

Reece H. Dunn

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 05:07 pm, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
That's a lot of work! I'm sorry for my judgmental initial subject line. It's just that I was very very used to the way Espeak pronounced words like "Possible," beforehand (I was only reminded of this after sending the other messages on this topic) and the slurring in certain words and phrases was very distracting for me. I'm getting accustomed to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like it.
I have pushed a fix for the pronunciation of words like "possible" for the English and British English accents. Historically, unstressed "I" vowels were pronounced with that "I" sound, while over time various accents pronounce this as the "a" in "comma".

The original espeak mixed its transcriptions for those sounds, so I fixed them in a previous espeak-ng release. However, the default pronunciation for the new transcription was the "I" sound. I have made a change so that that does not happen for the English and British English accents (so they get the "comma" sound), but does for the other accents like Received Pronunciation ("Queen's" or "BBC" English).