Excerpt from Espeak NG list

Brian's Mail list account

Now I'm not getting at anyone here, but although the message below is related to a very new incarnation of the synth, it kind of makes the point made in a previous thread on here about the changes being made to Espeak which do not sit well with users.
Here is the post...
I have no axe to grind here, except that it has been my experience too that some pronunciations are dismissed as OK when they are not.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by Trix-Maiden:
#443 Velarisation in Espeak NG is too pronounced
I've brought this up before as well, but I want to do so again here, in less abrasive language.
The current way Espeak ng processes velarisation puts too much emphasis on it. Any word ending with an "N" that precedes one starting with a hard "g" or "c" sounds as if there is an extra "g" at the end of it before the next word begins. "Ing case", "wung game" "cang get", etc.
The last time I brought up this issue, I was told this is how these words sound when spoken by humans, but I would disagree. Not to say this doesn't happen, but it isn't lingered over the way it is in the current release of Espeak ng. In previous versions, the transitions between these words sounded natural enough to my ears, and this version over-emphasises the velarisation to the point of it being unnatural.
(Note: I do not type "one" like that, but I had to alter spellings to simulate the pronunciation issue as clearly as possible to another blind person.)
_._,_._,_
====

Things I've moaned about like offen instead of often keep coming back as well, now this person knows the right term to use for the issue they are raising but mnay of us would not know how to actually describe it, and I feel that is part of the issue when reporting oddities and getting ehem fixed.
Just saying, and I do hope somebody who understands such things can pass on some of the comments I've seen on here to the right people to get them put back as they were originally. Thanks and have a nice day to all.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-