Re: Excerpt from Espeak NG list

Gene

This is not done in English.  I've never heard anything even remotely like what is being stated as being in spoken, rather than written English.

If the claim is being made as reported in the below message, it is not partly or marginally incorrect, it is completely incorrect.  In two words like can get, the n is held and the g is smoothly spoken at the instant the n sound is ended.  There is no additional g nor even a hint of one.  And that's the way things are generally.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 2:57 AM
Subject: [nvda] Excerpt from Espeak NG list

Now I'm not getting at anyone here, but although the message below is
related to a very new incarnation of the synth, it kind of makes the point
made in a previous thread on here about the changes being made to Espeak
which do not sit well with users.
 Here is the post...
 I have no axe to grind here, except that it has been my experience too that
some pronunciations are dismissed as OK when they are not.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by Trix-Maiden:
#443 Velarisation in Espeak NG is too pronounced
I've brought this up before as well, but I want to do so again here, in less
abrasive language.
The current way Espeak ng processes velarisation puts too much emphasis on
it. Any word ending with an "N" that precedes one starting with a hard "g"
or "c" sounds as if there is an extra "g" at the end of it before the next
word begins. "Ing case", "wung game" "cang get", etc.
The last time I brought up this issue, I was told this is how these words
sound when spoken by humans, but I would disagree. Not to say this doesn't
happen, but it isn't lingered over the way it is in the current release of
Espeak ng. In previous versions, the transitions between these words sounded
natural enough to my ears, and this version over-emphasises the velarisation
to the point of it being unnatural.
(Note: I do not type "one" like that, but I had to alter spellings to
simulate the pronunciation issue as clearly as possible to another blind
person.)
_._,_._,_
 ====

Things I've moaned about like offen instead of often keep coming back as
well, now this  person knows the right term to use for the issue they are
raising but mnay of us would not know how to actually describe it, and I
feel that is part of the issue when reporting oddities and getting ehem
fixed.
 Just saying, and I do hope somebody who understands such things can pass on
some of the comments I've seen on here to the right people to get them put
back as they were originally. Thanks and have a nice day to all.
 Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-