Re: Excerpt from Espeak NG list

Gene

Equally valid in what dialect?  I've never heard it in any american or Brittish dialect I've heard.  On what basis do the people making such decisions base their beliefs?  Are they just from listening or does anyone working on pronunciation have a real background in the subject?  I realize this is a voluntary oepn source project but if this hasn't been done, shouldn't there be an attempt to recruit someone with a reasonable background in whatever the science is called that we are dealing with, perhaps a linguist or dialectician?  I'm not sure what the speciality should be called.

Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excerpt from Espeak NG list

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 12:57 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Now I'm not getting at anyone here, but although the message below is
related to a very new incarnation of the synth, it kind of makes the point
made in a previous thread on here about the changes being made to Espeak
which do not sit well with users.
It would help to read the follow up where I have modified it so it no longer does that between words. Both pronunciation styles are equally valid and I prefer the change I made, but I respect that the change was not well supported (or at least not by the vocal majority).

Everything you and others have raised I have fixed or tried to fix, yet you still complain in an unconstructive way (like your post to the NVDA developers list). Pointing out issues is fine. Being constructively critical is fine (like Tyler Spivey's comments in another thread).

Also bear in mind that I and others are doing this in our spare time for free.

Here is the post...
I have no axe to grind here, except that it has been my experience too that
some pronunciations are dismissed as OK when they are not.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by Trix-Maiden:
#443 Velarisation in Espeak NG is too pronounced
I've brought this up before as well, but I want to do so again here, in less
abrasive language.
The current way Espeak ng processes velarisation puts too much emphasis on
it. Any word ending with an "N" that precedes one starting with a hard "g"
or "c" sounds as if there is an extra "g" at the end of it before the next
word begins. "Ing case", "wung game" "cang get", etc.
The last time I brought up this issue, I was told this is how these words
sound when spoken by humans, but I would disagree. Not to say this doesn't
happen, but it isn't lingered over the way it is in the current release of
Espeak ng. In previous versions, the transitions between these words sounded
natural enough to my ears, and this version over-emphasises the velarisation
to the point of it being unnatural.
(Note: I do not type "one" like that, but I had to alter spellings to
simulate the pronunciation issue as clearly as possible to another blind
person.)