From: Michael
Sent: Sunday, April 1, 2018 3:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Maths?

Damien,

My  book is being reviewed at the moment. As soon as it is accepted, I will

announce when and where it is released. The title is "Real Analysis For

Blind Students". Real Analysis is the sub-branch of mathematics where

calculus resides. Actually, it is a subbranch of the analysis branch - the

other subbranch being complex analysis. The book is intended for blind

students whose declared major is mathematics.

A disclaimer is in order. Every character in the book can be found on a

standard English keyboard. There is no integral sign on a standard keyboard.

I want the student to be able to write equations as well as read them. It is

easier and faster to type "INT:" rather than hunting up the code for an

integral sign. With a few exceptions like this one, the notation in the book

conforms to that in a print (or electronic) text. A mathematics professor

should consider the deviation from the standard very minor.  If you want to

insert an integral sign into an e-mail for instance (or any other document),

remember its special code and create a regular expression so that NVDA will

recognize it.

The modifications specified in the appendix only cover what is in the book

and not any article on the internet.

Add your own regular expressions to those I describe to cover cases I

neglected.

An equal sign stands between two expressions which are the same.  I can make

a similar statement  using a different relation such as greater than or less

than.An equation or inequality is between two expressions.