Re: A weird problem with NVDA and Windows 10

Hi,

I sincerely beg to differ: without knowing how long Marcio had his computer, we won’t know if disk issues are to blame. Rather, I’m thinking he got into lock screen somehow.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A weird problem with NVDA and Windows 10

If Marcio is not writing anything new to the computer, then the temp file would be written on the same bad sector with each reboot.

So a disk check could fix a spot where the temp file keeps getting written to.

Or, if NVDA has a corrupt file, from a bad sector, it would be a good idea before reinstalling NVDA to do a disk check.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 11:41 AM

We don't know how much ram is in the machine nor if any of it is being used.  I doubt that what you are describing would be caused by the swap file.  If it were, then why does the problem only occur after inactivity.  the swap file, if too much information is being exchanged to be held in RAM, wouldn't just be written to after a certain period of inactivity. 

Also, the information being stored in the swap file would change over time and the same symptom wouldn't be the only one.  In this case, the only symptom reported is an inability to use the computer after a period of inactivity.

This sounds as though something is occurring after that time.  I don't know what nor do I know what is going on that the problem appears not to be present when NVDA is not used.  Whatever the problem, I consider disk problems to be the least likely.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 9:36 AM

Gene,

A corrupt part of the disk can cause problems with a particular file that can be causing a problem like this.

Perhaps the swap file is writing to a bad sector.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2018 11:09 PM

I see that not using NVDA causes the problem not to happen so that part is solved.  I don't see how this is a disk problem.  I think the relevant part of the NVDA log needs to be sent to the list so people who know enough technically can see what might be happening.  Others on the list can tell you how to submit the log. 

What is NVDA doing or what isn't working properly after a time of not being used?  Of course, I may be wrong but I am more than skeptical that a hard drive problem has anything to do with the problem. 

I still think the power settings should be checked.  I don't know how likely this is, but it still could be that something, the hard drive, the monitor, something, is turning off and can't turn on properly if NVDA is running.  It may be that the computer is going into something like sleep or standbye and isn't turning on properly when NVDA is running.  Or perhaps keyboard input isn't being properly received when this happens when NVDA is running.  I think the hard drive is the least of the possibilities.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, April 02, 2018 4:57 PM

Yes, I tried it without NVDA and that's ok. No problem using my computer.

About CHKDSK, how I can proceed to use it?

Em 02/04/2018 18:50, Ervin, Glenn escreveu:

Have you tried it without NVDA running?
It sounds more like an operating system problem, and not NVDA.
I would recommend unloading NVDA and load Narrator and see if it still happens.
If it only happens with NVDA, you could reinstall it.
If it does not happen with Narrator, I would try a chkdsk in tools of the drive properties.
HTH.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2018 4:24 PM
Subject: [nvda] A weird problem with NVDA and Windows 10

Hi guys,
My NVDA is having a strange and very annoying problem.
It happens that when I stay too much time far from my computer, when I come back my screen is totally frozen and there's nothing I can do about. Mouse and keyboard aparently don't receive my commands, my computer just stays there, out of any action.
The only thing I can do, obviously, is to manually restart it and then all seems to back to normality.
How I can resolve this problem? I'll really appreciate if there's a solution for my cyber nightmare haha

Cheers
Marcio

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.