Re: NVDA still say unknown

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  Your key stroke of alt+f4 won't go to the desktop for windows 7.  That's one of the actions of windows 10 that this person is referencing.

Insider Dave

On 4/6/2018 2:49 PM, Steve Gomes wrote:

No mine doesn’t take me to the desk top and never did I use windows 7. AltF4 like you sayis the keyboard short cut to close a program. My NVDA says unkown but keeps going it is no problem.

When you come to a fork in the road, it’s time to eat

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 14:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA still say unknown

In my experience, exiting programs often doesn't take you to the desktop.  Others may wish to comment.  it's possible that, for somereason, a window is present that isn't visible to the screen-reader.  This window may be the result of a program running in the background.  Have you installed any programs or updated anything around the time the problem started?  Unless you think you have malware or have some other problem, this may well be just a change caused by something, a new program, some sort of update, something that means nothing other than that maybe a window is being displayed that makes you not return to the desktop as often as you expect. 

You may be hearing unknown because a window, not recognized by NVDA is getting focus.  You may get the answer most easily by having a sighted person see what's on screen when you close a program. 

While this may indicate a problem such as malware, it may indicate nothing except a change in something that affects screen-readers but doesn't affect anything from a sighted users' perspective. 

Others may have other comments and suggestions. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

I'm talking about exiting programs. I know how to get to the desktop with alt f-4 or windows D but in the past when I've exited programs, I was taken back to the desktop.

Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 1:34 PM

What are you referring to?  You said alt f4 to get to the desktop.  Alt f4 closes programs.  It doesn't take you to the desktop.  It often leaves you nowhere.  You have to use the usual Windows key d and Windows key m to move to the desktop.  What exactly is the problem?  You said you hear unknown.  What do you do after that and what happens?

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:29 PM

Hi, Gene,

I'm trying narrator right now. I'll see what happens when I hit alt f-4 to get to the desktop.

Rosemarie

Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 1:04 PM

Yesterday, your message appeared to indicate that you can carry out the action by issuing the command twice, as in issuing alt f4 twice.  Is that correct? 

Have you determined if this is an NVDA problem?  Have you tried the same commands in the same contexts using Narrator or JAWS?  Is there a need to issue them twice?  Also, have you tried an earlier version of NVDA that used to work correctly?  What happens? 

Just having to issue a command twice is a very easy work around.  If that's all that is necessary, this may be one of those small problems where there is a very easy work around and the time and effort involved to try to solve them isn't worth expending.  Not every problem needs to be solved.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:58 PM

Hi, Gene,

I tried waiting for 10 seconds and nothing happened. I don't know what else to try.

Rosemarie

Sent: Friday, April 6, 2018 11:52 AM

Is this a problem that means anything or is it just something being spoken that means nothing?  When you hear unknown, if you just do nothing for a number of seconds, does what you expect to happen happen? 

NVDA often says unknown and then, when you wait for a brief time, whatever is supposed to happen happens.  Have you tested to see what happens?  When you hear unknown, wait ten seconds to see if whatever is supposed to happen happens.  Yesterday, you said something about having to issue a program close command twice.  What we don't know is if the second time is doing anything.  If you just wait many seconds and don't do anything, you may find that what you expect to happen happens.  Part of being a good blind computer user is to know what matters and what doesn't.  So far, we don't know if this matters or is just irrelevant speech.

There may be nothing to be done at this time except to ignore it. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 1:05 PM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA still say unknown

Hi, everyone,

I just updated to the latest add-on but that didn't help at all. I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemarie

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.