Re: NVDA still say unknown

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  Your key stroke of alt+f4 won't go to the desktop for windows 7.  That's one of the actions of windows 10 that this person is referencing.

Insider Dave

On 4/6/2018 2:49 PM, Steve Gomes wrote:

No mine doesn’t take me to the desk top and never did I use windows 7. AltF4 like you sayis the keyboard short cut to close a program. My NVDA says unkown but keeps going it is no problem.

When you come to a fork in the road, it’s time to eat

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 14:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA still say unknown

In my experience, exiting programs often doesn't take you to the desktop.  Others may wish to comment.  it's possible that, for somereason, a window is present that isn't visible to the screen-reader.  This window may be the result of a program running in the background.  Have you installed any programs or updated anything around the time the problem started?  Unless you think you have malware or have some other problem, this may well be just a change caused by something, a new program, some sort of update, something that means nothing other than that maybe a window is being displayed that makes you not return to the desktop as often as you expect.

You may be hearing unknown because a window, not recognized by NVDA is getting focus.  You may get the answer most easily by having a sighted person see what's on screen when you close a program.

While this may indicate a problem such as malware, it may indicate nothing except a change in something that affects screen-readers but doesn't affect anything from a sighted users' perspective.

Others may have other comments and suggestions.

Sent: Friday, April 06, 2018 3:39 PM

I'm talking about exiting programs. I know how to get to the desktop with alt f-4 or windows D but in the past when I've exited programs, I was taken back to the desktop.