Re: Facebook unhappiness

Giles Turnbull

I've installed the emoticon addin but it's not really changed anything. It does speak the text when I read what I've typed in the edit windo, so :) is identified as a “smiling smiley” whereas my dictionary entry used to render that as “smiling face”. But, as soon as I post it to Facebook it vanishes! The same effect as the example I placed at the start of this thread.

Another curious thing is that the insert emoticon feature of the addin doesn't seem to insert anything into FB or a notepad window. I wouldn't expect it to insert anything but ascii emoticons like the colon and right parenthesis for a smiley face into notepad, but I would have expected it to put them into FB.

When other people use emojis in their FB posts FB does attempt to describe them, such as "heavy black heart" (which always made me think somebody was sending love on a sad matter, but which a sighted person tole me is not a black heart at all but some version of a red heart!) ... so even with emoticon addin installed I don't seem to be any closer to being able to use ascii smiley faces in my FB posts!

Giles