Subject: Re: [nvda] Facebook unhappiness
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 2:17 PM

I've installed the emoticon
addin but it's not really changed anything. It does
speak the text when I read what I've typed in the edit
windo, so :) is identified as a “smiling smiley”
whereas my dictionary entry used to render that as
“smiling face”. But, as soon as I post it to
Facebook it vanishes! The same effect as the example I
placed at the start of this thread.

Another curious thing is that the insert emoticon feature of
the addin doesn't seem to insert anything into FB or a
notepad window. I wouldn't expect it to insert anything
but ascii emoticons like the colon and right parenthesis for
a smiley face into notepad, but I would have expected it to
put them into FB.

When other people use emojis in their FB posts FB does
attempt to describe them, such as "heavy black
heart" (which always made me think somebody was sending
love on a sad matter, but which a sighted person tole me is
not a black heart at all but some version of a red heart!)
... so even with emoticon addin installed I don't seem
to be any closer to being able to use ascii smiley faces in
my FB posts!

Giles