Re: creating A portable copy

Gene

I believe the person is placing the portable copy on a thumb drive.  The question may be asking how to run the program on a computer with no way to know what lettter is the drive letter and with no other screen-reader running. 

Run Narrator, find the folder and open it.  If you open the folder and type the letter n, you will be on the correct file so you can just type n and press enter.  After NVDA is running, you can shut down Narrator.  It causes no problems having both NVDA and Narrator running at the same time and closing Narrator causes no problems for NVDA running. 

Also, the NVDA installer doesn't create its own folder.  Always create a folder or use a preexisting one you have created.  If you don't, the files will be placed in whatever folder is being used or right on the main part of the drive, neither of which would be desirable.  In general, installers of portable software create their own folders.  Other activities such as unzipping files create their own folders.  The NVDA portable installer not doing so is a serious lack of conformance to usual procedure and may cause people inconvenience and annoyance if they assume the installer will work as is generally the case.  This should be changed. 

I should add that if this has been changed in recent versions, then that's good.  I haven't used recent versions.  But up until many months ago, it wasn't the case.

Gene

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 2:54 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] creating A portable copy

I usually create a portable copy into a folder previously made by myself.
To make it run, I simply open the folder , find nvda.exe and click enter
on that.

Il 13/04/2018 01:08, Casey ha scritto:
> Hi I have the drive that I would like to make my portable of NVDA on.
>
> Now what I would like to know is should I create A folder for the
> portable copy and then  make the portable copy?
>
> And then once I do that how do I run the portable copy after it has
> been made?
>
> Or should I just make it to the root of the drive I want to use for
> the portable copy?
>
> I would like to know the best way to go about this.
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.