Re: NVDA and Canute multiline display

Antony Stone

This is indeed a fascinating device (9 lines of 40 cells, for a few hundred
pounds sterling, instead of many thousands for a one-line display), however if
you read the end of http://www.bristolbraille.co.uk/canute-faq.htm it says:

"Can I Use Canute as a Braille Display for my Computer/Smartphone/Tablet?

"Not yet. Screen reading software typically used to drive refreshable Braille
displays are designed to show one Braille line at a time. Plus, the Canute’s
refresh rate make it unsuitable for editing text. We are actively working with
OS developers to integrate Canute support and expect screen reader plug-ins
will become available to send a document or screen of text to the Canute."

So, don't expect it to be usable with NVDA any time soon.

Antony.

On Friday 13 April 2018 at 16:37:07, Josh Kennedy wrote:

HI
It looks like the Canute will be sold sometime around September of this
year 2018. So my question is this… Will there be an NVDA addon to let me
well lets say I am in an excel or google sheets spreadsheet… Could I press
a key combination, and the addon would format and send the spreadsheet for
viewing on the Canute? Or if I’m on the desktop, just dump the current
screen to the Canute? Or if on a website, and if using a reader addon in
chrome or firefox or edge, send the website for viewing on the Canute? Or
if I am in a view of a graph or chart in a spreadsheet like excel, send
all info about, and regarding the chart, to the Canute for viewing? The
canute would be more of a display for reading, not for editing. The
website for the Canute is:

http://www.bristolbraille.co.uk/

Thanks

Josh
--
I bought a book about anti-gravity. The reviews say you can't put it down.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.