NVDA and WordFinder (and, perhaps, other similarly designed programs)

Hello All,

         I've had a long dry spell as far as NVDA goes but I'm back on the proverbial horse again.  I am working with someone who is a natural language translator and uses a program called WordFinder for English to several other languages or vice versa word searches.  The program appears to be somewhat odd in several ways as far as following any Windows coding conventions.  For instance, you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to maximize or restore down for its window.  The only way to maximize is to point and click on the maximize button on the window frame, which is not read by NVDA or JAWS, or to change the shortcut to run the program maximized.  I am going to attempt to describe both the layout of the search screen and the specific behavior from NVDA in the hopes that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing that I need to be doing.

          The main search screen contains an edit box at the upper left that is actually a combo box that "collects" the searches you've been doing since the program was opened in case you need or want to revisit one without retyping or to get the specific dictionary search.  Directly beneath that is a column of words that always displays the word you searched for, highlighted/focused on if it's found, with about 5 or 6 words in alphabetical order above it and about 15 words in the same order below.  The intention is to allow you to arrow up or down if you search on a word that might have multiple definitions, and it displays the word multiple times if it does, or to see related short phrases that contain the word.  On the left of that column, whatever word or phrase has focus has that word, a blank line, and then the translation into the foreign language presented.  There are three "zones."

          The edit box for the target word acts pretty much as I expect.  You fill it in, hit enter, and the column below populates with focus on the word as described above.  However, when you tab off of the edit box to that word column NVDA announces, "Pane."  Once the Pane has focus if you up arrow or down arrow it will move up and down the word column, but announce nothing at all as focus changes.  What, if anything, can I do to make NVDA announce the word/phrase you're throwing focus on in that pane as you traverse up and down the column?

          In addition, we're having some difficulty with getting the third zone that shows the word that has focus in the column, followed by blank line, followed by its translation.  The only way we've been able to do it is to use the program's "Copy Special" command which presents a dialog with this same material in a single text area that NVDA (and JAWS, too) will read.  This is, however, extremely time consuming compared to being able to throw focus into that "third zone" where that information is already present on the screen.

          The overall behavior in JAWS is quite similar, but because there is no equivalent of the Focus Highlight add-on I cannot be as certain of what JAWS considers where it has focus, and having that "compare and contrast" is at times very helpful in figuring out whether a given issue can be resolved or not.

          Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance you can offer.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr