Re: Email clients

What does that addon do exactly that I'd not get without it? I'm just curious.

Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rui Fontes
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:18 AM
To: Lista Internacional NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email clients

The Thunderbird addon can be found on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

Rui

Às 16:10 de 15/04/2018, Rui Fontes escreveu:
You have a Thunderbird addon to handle *.EML messages...

Rui

Às 15:12 de 15/04/2018, Damien Garwood escreveu:
Hi there,
Ten minutes in the life of seemingly old fashioned Damien, using
Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail:
* Check emails.
* Install Dropbox.
* Realise that it’s turned into a pile of sludgy sluggish inaccessible
mess.
* Uninstall Dropbox.
* Attempt to check emails.
* Receive a message that WLDCore.dll is missing.
So in that ten minutes, the only significant thing was to install and
uninstall Dropbox, leading me to think that Dropbox somehow corrupted
it. I'll save that rant for my rants folder.
I then nonchalantly uninstall, and launch the Windows Live Essentials
installer expecting to be able to repair it. Of course, it doesn’t
budge. Only then, do I find out that WLM has been discontinued,
seemingly with nothing to replace it for Windows 7 users. Another rant
for my rants folder.
I wouldn’t be particularly bothered. I wouldn't say that WLM is the
best client I've ever used. In fact, every client I've used up to now
could do with some accessibility tips. Even so, despite its
shortcomings, WLM was the next best thing to OE and so I’ve been using
that for the past four or five years.
This puts me in a real dilemma. I’m only able to write this email now,
thanks to System Restore (A feature I swore I would never use thanks
to its abilities to mess things up). As a result, I highly feel that I
need to get a replacement client, hopefully something a little less
sporadic in its development and life/support cycles. However, I can’t
find a basic, accessible client that:
1. Is free of unnecessary outright bloated clutter,
2. Is fully accessible, responsive and comprehensible, and
3. Is able to import WLM folders and messages.
Here are the three that I have heard apparently work well, and my
experiences:
1. OEClassic
Since I liked Outlook Express, and since I have heard a lot about
OEClassic on this list, I thought it would make sense to first try
that one. However I was disappointed. When tabbing through the main
window, I had no idea what was what (the controls seemed to be
unlabelled or labelled incorrectly), and some even said “Unknown”. And
that’s even before I touched any settings.
2. Pegasus
While Pegasus was the first email client I was ever introduced to,
that was nearly 20 years ago, and using a different screen reader.
Similar to OEClassic, I found several “Unknown” controls, not to
mention the old rich-text-based help system used in the Windows 98 days.
3. Thunderbird
Thunderbird was the only option of the three to allow me to set up a
mailbox before use, and even that was a nightmare, simply because it
was determined to persuade me to use encrypted channels. Also, while
it does seem to be the most accessible of the three in terms of
navigation, it also seems full of unnecessary clutter (different tabs,
toolbars, calendars and news feeds, half of which I’ll never use).
Also can’t get my head around the fact that its window makes heavy use
of HTML – I’m used to seeing a good old listbox, pressing enter on a
message, and reading it.
Finally, WLM seems to be absent from import options of all three. I
see frequent mention of Outlook Express, Outlook, Windows Mail,
Thunderbird...But not Windows Live.
At this point, I've no idea what my next step is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
Damien.