Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email clients

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:30 am, Gene wrote:
I don't use IMAP so I can't compare.  But without more information, the assumption that everyone should use IMAP shouldn't be made.
Yes, Gene, it can be made if one is setting up a new account.   There is absolutely no advantage of POP unless you have constant need to access very old e-mail messages and are very frequently not connected to the internet.  And that's whether or not one is using multiple devices or not.   IMAP keeps all messages, and folders you may create for categorizing them, on the e-mail server and I don't know of a single data center that doesn't have far better backup plans than any individual could have.  This also saves the nightmare of having to export and import e-mail messages if one changes computers or adds another computer or mobile device from which one now wishes to access mail.

Even if one is setting up one's existing account, that has been using POP, it's better to set it up as IMAP in the new e-mail client and transfer all of your existing mail over to the server using your current client to do so.  It's all well documented in this article:  https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

IMAP has come to supplant POP almost entirely, and for good reasons.  I would never suggest setting up a new account as POP because most people these days do want to have the ability to access the same account or accounts from multiple devices and, even if they don't, the convenience of being able to abandon one e-mail client for another and just set up their account in another and everything is "automagically" there.

--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            ~ Niels Bohr