Re: NVDA and Windows Audio Service (audiodg.exe)

valiant8086

Hi.

If you have Wave max, it should be available in the system tray. If it asks you what you just plugged in when you connect a wired audio device like headphones, you may have wave max.

It's integrated  into the realtek audio driver. If you do uninstall it and get the generic driver, and that works ok for you, it'll eventually update the driver again by itself without your permission, so you'd need to block it using one of the methods I mentioned earlier.

I also forgot to point out that even with the high processor usage of audiodg.exe that the rest of us are talking about, high ram usage shouldn't be happening, that's not consistent with the norm.Dumping wave max and going for generic drivers as I discussed was for purposes of freeing up cpu time for things more important. Doing this improves computer performance to some degree, especially on low end models like the inspiron 11 systems, and it reduces running temps and increases battery life noticeably.

Someone suggested just disabling it. Yes, you can do this, but on some systems, at least the inspiron11 I had for a few days, that causes the headphones to sound really tinny and make you feel like you're listening to the sound through aluminum pipes speaking tube over a fare distance, and it didn't revert the cpu usage of audiodg.exe to the expected low that occurs on normal systems. With the enhancements enabled, on that inspiron 11 with the admittedly lousy intel celleron n3050 cpu, it used around 15 percent with wave max fully enabled, 7 percent with it disabled, and 1 percent to 0 percent with the generic driver. With a dual core cpu, you can multiply all of those percentages by 2 to get the rough estimate of how much of a single cpu core that was using  and thus how much extra cpu cycles were being wasted for something totally unnecessary.

If you folks know how to complain to dell and Microsoft to get this issue fixed, I'd be very appreciative. Wave max does have its benefits, but the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks, and not being able to disable it fully without being an absolute computer wiz with incredible patience for researching how to do obscure things is a real shame. As someone else said, it is enough to make having a dell not a viable option except in the most extreme cases. Most folks don't realize what's happening. Their dell just runs a little warm, it's a little more sluggish perhaps. They have no idea there's untapped battery, performance and thermal potential just being wasted on that nifty sound card.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

On 4/13/2018 6:17 PM, Luke Scholey wrote:
Hi Tyler
How do you access the Dell audio Control Panel? I know through all my searching I haven’t found a way of disabling enhancements because I don’t think my laptop has any.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 22:34, Brian Moore <bmoore@screenreview.org> wrote:

when I used it, was exactly the same with Jaws. I never had the ram issues but could never get the audio working correctly.

On 13/04/2018 5:33 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
Hi,

GOing to the dell audio control panel on my dell and disabling the enhancements fixed my audio service from taking up unneeded processor though it never did use more ram.

It also fixed the over driving of speech, but I also did not have wave max audio.

Though, I don't think dell is the only one doing this these days.

On 13-Apr-2018 4:23 PM, Luke Scholey wrote:
no, Jaws works fine.
In my opinion, it’s either NVDA or an obscure Dell problem that I haven’t figured out yet.
Thanks
Luke

On 13 Apr 2018, at 21:53, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:

Does it happen with Jaws?
A Jaws demo would allow you to test.
This knowledge might help make NVDA more robust.
Glenn