Re: Lenovo computers wunning Win10 and NVDA

valiant8086

Hi.

You're referring to the out of box OOB setup experience. As you said, some systems could present other prompts before OOBE appears. We don't know if Lenovo may have changed their habits recently, or specifically for the system you're looking at, not to mention we don't know just which system you're considering. That said, My Lenovo Yoga 2 pro went perfectly fine through the out of box setup experience. It's generic windows with lots of universal lenovo apps. To be fare, This came with windows 8.1, so my experience may differ. I really expect that you'll be just fine though. If not, you could use be my eyes on that iPhone to most likely get far enough along to start Narrator.

Side note. I'm a Lenovo fan. My yoga 2 pro is really nice. I have 30000 hours of runtime on it. Which exact model are you considering?

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>
On 4/15/2018 5:51 PM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:

Hi,
Forgive me for this post looking like it does, but I have to do email with my iPhone and I'm not as good with that as I am with the computer. Ours just died tis morning and we're going to try to get a new one as soon as we can. We're currently looking at a Lenovo, but this will be the first computer my husband and I have bought solo and are going to try to set it up with little to no sighted assistance as that would cost more. I know it can and has been done by other blind people, but I don't know if this particular brand has been done. Should this be doable using Narrarator then NVDA or do these computers have some sort of funky screen that must be gotten through by a sighted person like a few years ago with some? It will have Windows 10 on it if that helps any? Thanks for any help and wish us luck. We're thinking of getting it from Best Buy.

Sent from Lisa's iPhone6

On Apr 15, 2018, at 3:20 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:30 am, Gene wrote:
I don't use IMAP so I can't compare.  But without more information, the assumption that everyone should use IMAP shouldn't be made.
Yes, Gene, it can be made if one is setting up a new account.   There is absolutely no advantage of POP unless you have constant need to access very old e-mail messages and are very frequently not connected to the internet.  And that's whether or not one is using multiple devices or not.   IMAP keeps all messages, and folders you may create for categorizing them, on the e-mail server and I don't know of a single data center that doesn't have far better backup plans than any individual could have.  This also saves the nightmare of having to export and import e-mail messages if one changes computers or adds another computer or mobile device from which one now wishes to access mail.

Even if one is setting up one's existing account, that has been using POP, it's better to set it up as IMAP in the new e-mail client and transfer all of your existing mail over to the server using your current client to do so.  It's all well documented in this article:  https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

IMAP has come to supplant POP almost entirely, and for good reasons.  I would never suggest setting up a new account as POP because most people these days do want to have the ability to access the same account or accounts from multiple devices and, even if they don't, the convenience of being able to abandon one e-mail client for another and just set up their account in another and everything is "automagically" there.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

            Niels Bohr