From: "Ishe Chinyoka" <ishe@chinyoka.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Email clients

Therein lies the advantage of IMAP: messages are not permanently deleted
from the server. Which means that even if you are using one device, when
that device is lost or crashes, you don't lose your email messages.
Also, with IMAP, setting up things like filters and creating of folders
can be done on the server and synced to your email client, rather than
setting them up for each device you use. There is one central server to
manage your email organisation such that you create a filter or folder
and forget about it for the next years or so, and your messages would be
distributed according to the rules you set.

IMAP also syncs all folders, rather than pulling messages from the inbox
only: which means you can choose to have all folders downloaded to your
email client.

As for Brian's advice, I think he was just advising: and like any
advice, a person is free to take it or leave it based on the information
available to them. So a person who renders advice will certainly do so
pointing out the obvious advantages and disadvantages to a particular
action, So the "should always use" in this context could be understood
in that context and not as a peremptory statement.

Gene:
If you set up a machine with an IMAP account and another e-mail
program on that machine or another is already using POP3 and is
automatically deleting messages from the server, there will be little
or nothing to download in the program using IMAP at the outset because
the other program will have been removing messages as that program
downloads them. So you will still have to import messages from your
other program if you want them in the new one even if you set up an
IMAP account.

Also, for people who don't use more than one device, computer or
whatever, to download e-mail, I don't know if IMAP is as convenient.
I don't use IMAP so I can't compare. But without more information,
the assumption that everyone should use IMAP shouldn't be made.

You didn't say everyone should use IMAP, but often in such
discussions, that is the impression given by the exchange of
messages. I'm saying that unless this is demonstrated, it shouldn't
be assumed by readers.