Re: Recommended braille displays for use with NVDA?

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

I have just bought a Brailliant Bi-40 second hand, it is a very nice display. I cannot get it to work in USB mode though with NVDA, it will work in bluetooth mode, but USB, only if I turn the protocol option to OpenBraille. This is fine, but I cannot also update the firmware, or check for updates with the tool, because it says it cannot find the virtual com port, I've tried removing and installing the driver several times to no avail. I wanted to check if there are any newer firmwares because the bluetooth is kind of on the slightly less than good side of good. It's ok, but it keeps having issues where it will not respond, then it does and everything that was queued up will start going through.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:41 PM, James AUSTIN <james.londonsw15@...> wrote:
Have you considered a Brailliant from Humanware? They used i believe to get their displays from Baum, before they took production in-house.  Their displays are extremely sturdy  and crisp.

Best wishes

James

On 17/04/2018 22:26, Jason White via Groups.Io wrote:
Unfortunately, yes, Baum is in financial difficulty and currently isn't
operating.

I have owned two of their displays over the years, both excellent. It seems
that I'll have to look elsewhere for my next display, though. I've been doing
the research but have not yet made the final decision.

Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:
Hello!
Atention, BAUM is closed since begining of 2018 due to bankrupcy...

Rui

Às 20:33 de 17/04/2018, Angela Delicata escreveu:
I have  Vario Ultra made by Baum which is a German factory... It is very
god with nvda: it works well.

Il 17/04/2018 18:25, Jason White via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Are there any braille displays that are particularly well supported
by NVDA,
including the BrailleExtender add-on and its assignment of keyboard
functions
to braille display keys?

Are there any braille display vendors who have been especially
cooperative
with the NVDA project?

I wish to take this into account in a personal purchasing decision, among
other factors, so I thought I should ask here.