Re: help, can't get balloon about Win 10 back!

Gene

I question this information about the registry, at least in newer versions of Windows and with reasonably fast systems.  for one thing, the registry doesn't just accumulate and keep information.  When you install programs and then uninstall them, using add/remove programs, registry entries are usually left from the program.  I don't know what is available for Windows 10 that is accessible, but there are third party unstallers that will remove the registry entries when you uninstall a program.  Also, I think you would have to install and uninstall a lot more programs than a lot of people do to notice any difference in speed.

As far as junk accumulating in other places, why can't this be removed by utilities such as the Windows disk cleanup or some third party utility that may remove more.  I don't know enough to compare if there are any significant differences. 

I use computers for years and don't have slower performance.  So I question these sorts of broad, unqualified, generalizations.

But that wasn't the question.  The question is how an over the top installation can delete everything.  As far as I know, during a Windows 10 upgrade, you are given a choice if you want to keep programs or not.  I don't know when this choice is offered.  But a lot of people upgrade to Windows 10 and keep their programs.

Gene

------ Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] help, can't get balloon about Win 10 back!

Hi Jessica,

One problem is that after a while, the registry gets bloated with information that it needs for all the programs installed, and Windows needs to cache the registry for information when it loads a program, and as the registry gets bigger and bigger, it takes longer to find the information, and that is why it slows down.

When you installed Windows 10, it needed to put in a new registry.

The new registry would have pulled in some of the old information so you can still use the old programs.

I learned that Office 2000 does not work on 10, as I had installed it on a friend’s 7 and it works fine on that, but when he had someone do the free upgrade to 10 before the first of the year, we found that his outlook no longer works.

I don’t know if Windows 10 will allow a clean install of Office 2000 though.

I use 2000 at home, and it does all I need it to do, I just installed Microsoft’s compatibility utility which allows me to access new Office files.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jessica D
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:30 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

I now have win10, and love it

My pc is very fast now 

But, I still don't understand, how doing an overtop install, can literally delete everything. 

I never told it to do that. 

At least, I never heard "seeing AI" mention it. 

Thanks,

Jessica

On Apr 18, 2018, at 12:08 PM, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@...> wrote:

Absolutely.

Also, the bit about having to make sure all the programs are available for reinstalling, well this will be the case if someone gets a new computer as well, so no extra draw-backs there, and one will want to save their critical data anyway, if they are getting a new computer, so there again, no more work, just a clean install of the OS is in order.

I put an SSD on one of my computers, and I do enjoy the speedier boot-up, but one thing to keep in mind is that we lose the ability to know via sound if the computer is booting or not when we switch to a solid state drive.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 08:29 am, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

I have seen many folks get a new computer because their old one is now slow.

Glenn,

You are entirely correct that a very great many systems become sluggish because of the long collection of garbage in all sorts of locations over time.  This can almost always be cured by doing a completely clean installation of whatever operating system it is that you have been using on that machine.

This is not, of course, a trivial undertaking since you will need to back up all your user data and also make sure that all programs you routinely use are available for reinstallation either with the original media you got when you bought them or via download.  Then you've got to reconfigure your system settings, upload all that user data, and get all those programs installed again.

Another thing that can add an awful lot of additional speed to a system is changing out the conventional hard disk drive for a solid state drive.  If the drive on your system is not huge the price of SSDs is dropping enough these days that this is an excellent way of getting a significant additional performance boost as well.

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1709, Build 16299  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

Niels Bohr

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.